Renewal via POE

pslettuce

Hi all - I've renewed my last 2 TNs via mail-in but have been thinking about doing it via POE this time around because both time it took 6 months for me to get the new TN via mail. Been renewing with same employer, same job.

My question is this: if I go to the border to 'renew' my TN before my current TN expires, and in the event that the officer denies my application (for reasons beyond my control), would I be able to come back in on my current TN (at which point I'd just do a mail-in)? Or would I risk being denied entry back into the US even though my current TN is still valid?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Assuming the POE does not say you are inadmissable for other reasons (like criminal record, or intent to immigrate) and the reason for denial is merely due to paperwork deficiency, you should be allowed entry based on your current TN.

At that point you could either fix the paperwork and try again, or do a mail-in.

Thanks for your speedy response, nelsona. I have no criminal records etc. but am cautious about applying at POE (thus leaving my fate in the ends of the officer who may not be familiar with TNs) because there's not an obvious and clear link between my job and the TN category I'm applying for. But knowing that I have the option to come back into US with my current TN is reassuring.

I live in NYC and was wondering if you happen to know which POE is, generally speaking, more knowledgeable of/familiar with TNs? Would it be Peace Bridge?

Thanks again - I really appreciate it. :)

All Cdn border POEs are TN knowledgable. That is one of their primary functions. From what I understand the farther east you go the better. VT crossings have never been an issue.

Poe tn

Nelson i don't think all POE have TN officers? I know for a fact that Peace Bridge does have a TN officer last year when i went their, the officer was a little tough but extremely fair. He did ask me a couple of questions and then he said next time when you come in bring in the 3 year letter.

Ofcourse i didnt reply at the time i just thought if i nodded and said yes he might say it doesnt seem like your TN is temp and so on.

Anyways i will be going to the Peace Bridge for my renewal i know for a fact that their is a TN officer their.

Thanks
M

TN Visa

Applied 3ice at BUffalo Peace Bridge never had any issues.

I guess the problem that i see now a days with rejection on TN extension is either they get rejected because of the job letter which ofcourse they never had a problem with in the past but lately from 2 other message boards i have read that guys got rejected because the officer said its temporary visa and you guys have spend 3-5 years so its a no go.

Have you heard something like this also?

Thanks