relative green card

salparadise

Registered Users (C)
Hello,
I am a US citizen and would like to request my mom through the I-130 form.
She has her tourist Visa that expires on 03/2011, my ideal scenario would be for her to travel and stay with me while we process the I-130 so here are my questions.
1. If her tourist visa expires while processing the I-130 and she is in the United States, will she be deported or can she stay while this is processing? any additional information regarding that I am not aware of will be appreciated.
2. About how long can this take? and is there a way to expedite the process?
3. I changed my name from what my birth certificate, would this be a problem proving that she is my mother?
Thanks in advance.

good 3 questions there. I would also be interested in reading the answer to those questions

Especially concerning the birth certificate, I can imagine it to be a problem...I did to, after changing my name when I left from Bosnia i Herzegovina

Hello,
1. If her tourist visa expires while processing the I-130 and she is in the United States, will she be deported or can she stay while this is processing? any additional information regarding that I am not aware of will be appreciated.

Her tourist visa will not expire because parents of USCs get approved very quickly. The I-130 approval does not affect status but the 485 AOS does.

Only problem I can see is if she is outside the US right now and the intention is to file for AOS then they might bar her from entry if they find out? If you file an I-130 before she arrives in the US...that might cause problems too.

Since the visas for parents of USCs are so quickly available why not just do consular processing?

Also you can take a DNA test to prove you are related.

I agree that consular processing is the appropriate thing to do, it should only take 6 to 12 months from filing the I-130 to entering the U.S.

If you changed your name, don't you have a name change order? If you did it in the U.S., did you do it on your own in court or as part of naturalization? Either of those create a paper trail. If the paper has been lost/misplaced, you can get a copy. It's a matter of public record now.