Refused sponsorship for my wife

Geotoms

I'm finding trouble sponsoring my wife. I have got Permanent residence. I married her in my homeland after getting my PR Card. We had our traditional marriage registered in the temple. We were childhood friends. We didn't have family's approval. My wife's sponsorship is refused since our marriage is not recognized. It's not possible for me to go back at this time. What should I do now? Need advice.

Are you two legally married in the eyes of the law? Is the "temple" wedding considered a legal marriage where it took place?

My wife's sponsorship is refused since our marriage is not recognized. It's not possible for me to go back at this time. What should I do now? Need advice.

We have a certificate from the temple. It is legal in the native place, but it isn't a government certificate.

Oftentimes a marriage certificate from a religious venue isn't enough. The marriage must be registered with the local municipality for it to be officially recognized. .

My employment will be jeopardized if I go back to get it registered in municipal office now. My colleagues are telling me to consult a ***lawyer*** to appeal for her sponsorship. I'm thinking if I submit the testaments of the witnesses, she may be granted sponsorship on humanitarian grounds?

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately, PR status is not automatically received after marriage even when it is recognized by the law. And even the case when a spouse has the Canadian passport will not help here either.

Any foreigner must meet the selection criteria for obtaining the PR status. In the case of spousal sponsorship, both spouses (both Canadian and foreign) must undergo such selection.