Refugee Travel Document vs. Schengen Visa

gandrud

Registered Users (C)
Hello people, I will copy and paste the conversation between me and the Norwegian Embassy in San Francisco/CA. I just think the Embassies should be aware about the Travel Document...they look at it like it's an alien from Mars!!!

ME: Good morning Norwegian Embassy SF-CA

I live in Santa Barbara-California however I was born in Brazil and I have political Asylum. I just got my Refugee Travel Document and I was wondering If I need the "Schengen Visa" since I am not allowed to use the Brazilian passport anymore.
Can I go to Norway using the Travel Document or I need the "Schengen Visa"?

NORWEGIAN EMBASSY: You do need a visa. Please bring both your travel document and old passport to the interview. Guidelines are found here:

http://www.norway.org/Embassy/Visa-...Norwegian-Consulate-General-in-San-Francisco/

Regards,

SO, I GATHERED ALL MY PAPERS, BANK STATMENTS, PICTURES, COPIES OF THIS AND THAT BLAH,BLAH, BLAH...AND I DROVE FROM LOS ANGELES AAAAAALLLLLLLL THE WAY TO SAN FRANCISCO JUST TO GET MY VISA. I HAD MY INTERVIEW AND HE SAID THAT I WOULD GET MY RTD IN 5 BUSINESS DAYS...EVERYTHING WAS FINE.

...days later...

NORWEGIAN EMBASSY: Dear xxxxxxx,

I just left you a voicemail. As I was printing your visa I realized you’re a Brazilian national, who then would not normally need a visa to enter Norway. Do you still have your Brazilian passport, or is the U.S. Travel Document your current form of id? You may fall in between the various regulations, so I just want to make sure before I send your passport back (so you don’t have any issues on the border)

Regards,

ME: I would prefer to have the Schengen Visa even if you are not sure that it is required. Often, the airline personnel at the airport ticket counters or the cruise ship personnel at the ports are not familiar with the visa requirements. They tend to err on the side of caution. If I don't have a visa, I might be delayed boarding or denied a boarding pass altogether. I will be on a very tight timeline during my trip with a short connection in Germany and then only five days in Norway. Upon arrival in Venice, I will have only a couple of hours to get on the ship. So, any delay could ruin all of our plans.

As an asylee in the United States, I am forbidden from using my Brazilian passport for travel. I must use only the Refugee Travel Document issued by the United States or I risk losing my asylee status and could be deported to Brazil.

As I have paid the fees and provided all the required documentation, please issue the Schengen Visa.

Thank you so much

UDI has confirmed that as a Brazilian national with a US-issued travel document, you do not need a visa to enter Norway. I have also checked that Italy and Germany accept U.S. travel documents in the same fashion .

As such, I have cancelled the visa in your travel document, since we cannot issue visas to citizens of countries that do not require such permission to travel. I will include a letter with your passport that explains why we have not processed your visa, in case you are worried about airline personnel/ border authorities.

I have of course refunded the visa fee (which will go back on your card). I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this process has caused you.

Regards,

A lot of trouble, gandrud! It's too bad you had to drive all the way to SF for this. Are you an LPR? Though I see how the consulate could have done this in a way that would have saved you time and money, you are lucky to have had such a nice officer. You were refunded the money? That NEVER happens. And, you were issued a letter. I have asked for one before from the Germans, and they refused.

If I were you, I would take my Brazilian passport along JUST IN CASE as proof that you are (indeed, you still are) a Brazilian national and need no visa for Norway. Good luck and have a nice trip.

A lot of trouble, gandrud! It's too bad you had to drive all the way to SF for this. Are you an LPR? Though I see how the consulate could have done this in a way that would have saved you time and money, you are lucky to have had such a nice officer. You were refunded the money? That NEVER happens. And, you were issued a letter. I have asked for one before from the Germans, and they refused.

If I were you, I would take my Brazilian passport along JUST IN CASE as proof that you are (indeed, you still are) a Brazilian national and need no visa for Norway. Good luck and have a nice trip.

Hey Cafeconleche,
Long time no see you, huh? What's a LPR? Like a letter parole? No, I don't. I just have the "Refugee Travel Document" I think it's the form i571, i guess!
I was happy and sad at the same time. Happy that they gave me a visa and a day later they canceled it lol. I just got my Refugee Travel Document and I still have the visa on it and an official letter from the Embassy.

Do you think the airport agents will let me fly back to USA since they don't know what a Refugee Travel Document is?

Thank you so much! You've been a great helper.

An LPR is a Lawful Permanent Resident, so a Green Card holder. You will definitely be allowed to come back to the US. No worries. The letter from the consulate will help a lot. I'm just saying, take your passport with you, at least to show the airline IF they cause trouble. If you are not an LPR, don't show your passport to anybody unless it is necessary to prove you need no visa for entry into Norway. If you are an LPR, then it would be even safer to show your passport. Either way, you have an RTD (Refugee Travel Document) so even if you show your passport, you have the right to return to the US, and it would be very unlikely you'd be given trouble by the US.

Boa viagem.

An LPR is a Lawful Permanent Resident, so a Green Card holder. You will definitely be allowed to come back to the US. No worries. The letter from the consulate will help a lot. I'm just saying, take your passport with you, at least to show the airline IF they cause trouble. If you are not an LPR, don't show your passport to anybody unless it is necessary to prove you need no visa for entry into Norway. If you are an LPR, then it would be even safer to show your passport. Either way, you have an RTD (Refugee Travel Document) so even if you show your passport, you have the right to return to the US, and it would be very unlikely you'd be given trouble by the US.

Boa viagem.

Yeah, definetely I will bring both passaports just in case...If they make a drama, lol, I can use the Brazilian when I get there and the RTD flying back home :)

Letter from the Norwegian Embassy

Hello people, I will copy and paste the conversation between me and the Norwegian Embassy in San Francisco/CA. I just think the Embassies should be aware about the Travel Document...they look at it like it's an alien from Mars!!!

ME: Good morning Norwegian Embassy SF-CA

I live in Santa Barbara-California however I was born in Brazil and I have political Asylum. I just got my Refugee Travel Document and I was wondering If I need the "Schengen Visa" since I am not allowed to use the Brazilian passport anymore.
Can I go to Norway using the Travel Document or I need the "Schengen Visa"?

NORWEGIAN EMBASSY: You do need a visa. Please bring both your travel document and old passport to the interview. Guidelines are found here:

http://www.norway.org/Embassy/Visa-...Norwegian-Consulate-General-in-San-Francisco/

Regards,

SO, I GATHERED ALL MY PAPERS, BANK STATMENTS, PICTURES, COPIES OF THIS AND THAT BLAH,BLAH, BLAH...AND I DROVE FROM LOS ANGELES AAAAAALLLLLLLL THE WAY TO SAN FRANCISCO JUST TO GET MY VISA. I HAD MY INTERVIEW AND HE SAID THAT I WOULD GET MY RTD IN 5 BUSINESS DAYS...EVERYTHING WAS FINE.

...days later...

I just left you a voicemail. As I was printing your visa I realized you’re a Brazilian national, who then would not normally need a visa to enter Norway. Do you still have your Brazilian passport, or is the U.S. Travel Document your current form of id? You may fall in between the various regulations, so I just want to make sure before I send your passport back (so you don’t have any issues on the border)

Regards,

ME: I would prefer to have the Schengen Visa even if you are not sure that it is required. Often, the airline personnel at the airport ticket counters or the cruise ship personnel at the ports are not familiar with the visa requirements. They tend to err on the side of caution. If I don't have a visa, I might be delayed boarding or denied a boarding pass altogether. I will be on a very tight timeline during my trip with a short connection in Germany and then only five days in Norway. Upon arrival in Venice, I will have only a couple of hours to get on the ship. So, any delay could ruin all of our plans.

As an asylee in the United States, I am forbidden from using my Brazilian passport for travel. I must use only the Refugee Travel Document issued by the United States or I risk losing my asylee status and could be deported to Brazil.

As I have paid the fees and provided all the required documentation, please issue the Schengen Visa.

Thank you so much

UDI has confirmed that as a Brazilian national with a US-issued travel document, you do not need a visa to enter Norway. I have also checked that Italy and Germany accept U.S. travel documents in the same fashion .

As such, I have cancelled the visa in your travel document, since we cannot issue visas to citizens of countries that do not require such permission to travel. I will include a letter with your passport that explains why we have not processed your visa, in case you are worried about airline personnel/ border authorities.

I have of course refunded the visa fee (which will go back on your card). I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this process has caused you.

Regards,

Dear XXXXXXX

The Norwegian Consulate General has returned your passport. Since you are a Brazilian national with a United States-issued Travel Document, you are allowed to visit the Schengen Area without first obtaining a visa up to 90 days. This includes visits to Norway, Germany and Italy.

Note that the visa in your passport has been cancelled without prejudice.

The consulate apologizes for the inconvenience this misinformation may have caused you.

Regards,

Magnus Aasbrenn
Consul

Ps: The Consul said I must have this official letter with me while I travel in the Schengen Area.

Hello,

My sister is coming to UK to visit me in January. She doesn't have a passport and she only holds US refugee travelling documents. we plan to visit France during her stay in UK, so I was just wondering if she needs a visa to visit Paris (leaving from England). I called France embassy in London today and they said that she does need to obtain visa for France, although I dont think that she was right. On the other hand, my sister checked with US immigration services and they advised that she can travel to Europe. I'm confused who to believe?
Can anyone here help us please? if she doesn't need to get a visa how we can be 100% sure that we dont face any issue ? in order to avoid any disappointment, is there any thing she needs to do before travelling to UK (e.g. get a confirmation letter,etc.)

Yes, she DOES need a visa (as the French embassy has already informed you. She also need one for the UK.

US immigration knows practically nothing about using RTDs.

Thanks for your reply. so what is below about:

Dear XXXXXXX

The Norwegian Consulate General has returned your passport. Since you are a Brazilian national with a United States-issued Travel Document, you are allowed to visit the Schengen Area without first obtaining a visa up to 90 days. This includes visits to Norway, Germany and Italy.

Note that the visa in your passport has been cancelled without prejudice.

The consulate apologizes for the inconvenience this misinformation may have caused you.

Regards,

Magnus Aasbrenn
Consul

France is in the Schengen area, isn't it? the main destination for my sister is England and then going to Paris from London. Can she apply for both visas(Schengen and UK ) from US? as she is not going to have enough time to apply for schengen from London.
Thanks

Well, is your sister Brazilian? What is her citizenship? Is she traveling on her passport? gandrud had his passport too when he went to Norway, I think.

Anyway, when it comes to RTDs, different Schengen countries apply the rules differently, unfortunately. France is one of the difficult ones, and will almost definitely require a visa.

She needs to apply for BOTH in the US.