• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Refugee and DV lottery

denn89

Hello,
my name is Denis, i was born in Ucraine, but now i live in Italy and i have refugee status.
I want to apply for DV lottery 2017.
In case of win, i need two important documents, passport and criminal record certificate from all countries, that must be shown at the US Embassy in Italy.
My problem is, that I don't have passport, the Italian government has issued me a document equivalent to the passport for travel.
And i can't get criminal record certificate from Ucraine because i can loose my refugee status.
if you have some information I will be very thankful.

While I can't give exact info for your particular situation, I can tell you that we have had a couple of refugees successfully get DV visas before, including one who was using a travel document rather than a passport. I think though in his case the country he came from was in war, and it was impossible for anyone to get police records; so you may need advice, possibly even to ask the embassy, about that if you get selected.

Hello,
my name is Denis, i was born in Ucraine, but now i live in Italy and i have refugee status.
I want to apply for DV lottery 2017.
In case of win, i need two important documents, passport and criminal record certificate from all countries, that must be shown at the US Embassy in Italy.
My problem is, that I don't have passport, the Italian government has issued me a document equivalent to the passport for travel.
And i can't get criminal record certificate from Ucraine because i can loose my refugee status.
if you have some information I will be very thankful.
Police Records seem to be available (and necessary) for Ukraine: http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/fees/reciprocity-by-country/UP.html see under "Police, Court, Prison Records" Tab. Same for birth, marriage certificates etc. It does not seem to be necessary to apply in person, presumably you are able to do this from Italy? Same rules would apply to anyone having spent noticeable time in Ukraine and having returned to his/her home country. SusieQQQ responded to you concerning usability of travel documents of DV winners with refugee status. All of this applies only if your selected for further DV-2017 processing, of course.

While I can't give exact info for your particular situation, I can tell you that we have had a couple of refugees successfully get DV visas before, including one who was using a travel document rather than a passport. I think though in his case the country he came from was in war, and it was impossible for anyone to get police records; so you may need advice, possibly even to ask the embassy, about that if you get selected.
Thanks, If such cases were already i will apply for DV 2017.

Police Records seem to be available (and necessary) for Ukraine: see under "Police, Court, Prison Records" Tab. Same for birth, marriage certificates etc. It does not seem to be necessary to apply in person, presumably you are able to do this from Italy? Same rules would apply to anyone having spent noticeable time in Ukraine and having returned to his/her home country. SusieQQQ responded to you concerning usability of travel documents of DV winners with refugee status. All of this applies only if your selected for further DV-2017 processing, of course.
Thank you

Police Records seem to be available (and necessary) for Ukraine: http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/fees/reciprocity-by-country/UP.html see under "Police, Court, Prison Records" Tab. Same for birth, marriage certificates etc. It does not seem to be necessary to apply in person, presumably you are able to do this from Italy? Same rules would apply to anyone having spent noticeable time in Ukraine and having returned to his/her home country. SusieQQQ responded to you concerning usability of travel documents of DV winners with refugee status. All of this applies only if your selected for further DV-2017 processing, of course.

There may possibly be problems getting a PC from a country if it knows you have declared refugee status elsewhere and the authorities, um, don't condone that. I have no idea what the particular situation re Ukraine is in this regard, or what the poster's personal situation in this regard is, but I am aware of at least one country that has refused to issue police clearances to people who have sought asylum elsewhere. But these are bridges to cross should he win.

Denis, this agency gave me my police records from Ukraine couple of months ago
http://jurklee.com.ua/

You can transfer money to them and they will do the job. It is not necessary to return to your country. They work pretty fast. I received my documents in a week. Had no problems with them in the embassy.

Good luck