Reentry permit vs refugee travel document.

msmari

My boyfriend's family is from Cambodia, though he was born in Thailand because they were refugees.

He is now a legal permanent US resident and when he was a teenager he took a trip with his family to Cambodia using a Reentry permit.

We will be vacationing next month in Europe. He has applied for reentry permit and has biometrics appointment next week.

My question is... should he have applied for refugee travel document instead? He applied for reentry permit because that is what he's had before.

When traveling outside the US... he needs just the reentry permit & green card, correct? He doesnt have a passport from any other country.

Thank you!!!

He can apply for either. The RTD is valid only for 1 year, though, BUT it gets him visa-free access to a few European countries. The RP will likely be valid for 2 years (a HUGE advantage), but requires visas for everywhere (unless the GC gets you visa free access). To which countries are you travelling?

France. So he needed to apply for visa to France no less than 3 weeks from travel date and to do so he needed to bring his RP with him.

He applied for RP and it was just mailed out yesterday. I fly out March 17th so too late...he will not be going to France with me. :(

Ah, too bad. Yeah, CIS is really slow with these. I depended on these travel documents a few years ago, and the stress really took its toll. Glad I don't have to go through it any longer!