Reapplying for B2 Visitor VISA

mahah

My mother (homemaker/single parent/62 yrs old) applied for B2 visitor visa at Chennai US consulate in Nov 2005, she was asked two questions
1) Q: reason for visiting
A: see my son/daughter-in-law and sight seeing
2) Q: How much income you earn
A: around 10k/month
and was rejected immediately with 214b

She lives alone (deceased father) in my apartment back home with income from her bank deposits (no pension or other income)

In 2008 she visited my elder brother in Australia for 8 weeks on a tourist visa, my brother is a citizen of Australia.

We are planning to have my mother visit US for a short period (2 months) in April 2010. (I am on I485 adjustment of status and will be sponsoring her trip)

Would the following constitute her ties to homeland and non-intent of staying in the US that can be used by her during the interview?

1) Her close ties with my married sister's family and grandchild living in the same city as her.
2) Return from her Australia visit in 2 months, in-spite of been issued 1 year multiple entry visa
3) Ties with her sister's family (my aunt) living in the same city
4) Reapplying for B2 visa after a long gap of 4+ years and not showing desperation

Any advice is highly appreciated.

Thanks

The following factors may work for her but having a child in the US may still hold greater weight.

Would the following constitute her ties to homeland and non-intent of staying in the US that can be used by her during the interview?

1) Her close ties with my married sister's family and grandchild living in the same city as her.
2) Return from her Australia visit in 2 months, in-spite of been issued 1 year multiple entry visa
4) Reapplying for B2 visa after a long gap of 4+ years and not showing desperation

The following factors may work for her but having a child in the US may still hold greater weight.

Thanks Triple Citizen

I don't understand how one can convince the consulate officer in that case. It pretty much profiling in my opinion. Wonder why they don't openly admit that single parents can no longer apply as they are considered an immigrant and wasting everyone's time and money.

B2 for sister

My sister's visitor visa has been rejected 5 times. She is 45 years old, unmarried & unemployed (for health reasons, but is healthy & independent now). She has inherited a property and some bank balance to lead a comfortable life in a small city in India. She lives with my mother. My mother & sister applied for visa 4 times together & got rejected. I wrote to the Consulate General asking if I could provide a monetary bond (I gather this was done before) or if we can assure that they report to the local USCIS office once a while (whatever frequency they suggest) or whatever.... in an effort to prove that they would return back to India, but got a standard reply with the link to the visitor visa page on the USCIS website. I provided the local congresswoman's letter the next time, that did not help either. With suggestion from a friend, I tried to do it thru an agent in vain. There has always been good gaps between interviews to show that we are not desperate. The 5th time my mother applied seperately, she got 10 year multiple entry and she has visited once. My sister tried the 5th time in 2008, every time its been the same reason for rejection - potential immigrant, not many questions asked either. I do not know how to convince them they are totally tied to our home, the large closeknit family & the culture. She can't sacrifice her happy independent life in India to come here & lose her mobility, social life and depend on others for everything.

I want my sister to visit our home once, spend some time, see some places around and return. So I want to see if she can come on a package tour, complete the tour and stop by at our place for a few days and return. The travel agents I talk to (like SOTC, Thomas cook etc) say that I don't need to provide any documents, she has to sponsor herself and they would provide all other documents. Can she sponsor herself based on her savings? My mother & sister lead a comfortable life with my mother's pension & property rent. My sister is very much hurt by this ordeal and doesn't want to try again. So I want to make sure of the positive outcome to convince her to try again. Would the fact that she is leaving behind my mother be sufficient to show her ties to the home country? What more do I need to do?

Thank you for your suggestions
Lika

My sister's visitor visa has been rejected 5 times. She is 45 years old, unmarried & unemployed (for health reasons, but is healthy & independent now). She has inherited a property and some bank balance to lead a comfortable life in a small city in India. She lives with my mother. My mother & sister applied for visa 4 times together & got rejected. I wrote to the Consulate General asking if I could provide a monetary bond (I gather this was done before) or if we can assure that they report to the local USCIS office once a while (whatever frequency they suggest) or whatever.... in an effort to prove that they would return back to India, but got a standard reply with the link to the visitor visa page on the USCIS website. I provided the local congresswoman's letter the next time, that did not help either. With suggestion from a friend, I tried to do it thru an agent in vain. There has always been good gaps between interviews to show that we are not desperate. The 5th time my mother applied seperately, she got 10 year multiple entry and she has visited once. My sister tried the 5th time in 2008, every time its been the same reason for rejection - potential immigrant, not many questions asked either. I do not know how to convince them they are totally tied to our home, the large closeknit family & the culture. She can't sacrifice her happy independent life in India to come here & lose her mobility, social life and depend on others for everything.

I want my sister to visit our home once, spend some time, see some places around and return. So I want to see if she can come on a package tour, complete the tour and stop by at our place for a few days and return. The travel agents I talk to (like SOTC, Thomas cook etc) say that I don't need to provide any documents, she has to sponsor herself and they would provide all other documents. Can she sponsor herself based on her savings? My mother & sister lead a comfortable life with my mother's pension & property rent. My sister is very much hurt by this ordeal and doesn't want to try again. So I want to make sure of the positive outcome to convince her to try again. Would the fact that she is leaving behind my mother be sufficient to show her ties to the home country? What more do I need to do?

Thank you for your suggestions
Lika

lika4, I understand its very frustrating for the folks out there to go through this harassment without any clear cut definition/explanation provided for the rejection. 241b is a very generic and catch all.

Glad that your mother got her visa, did she have to do anything special to get this on the 5th attempt in terms of explaining to the consular/paperwork etc?

Thanks

Glad that your mother got her visa, did she have to do anything special to get this on the 5th attempt in terms of explaining to the consular/paperwork etc?

Thanks for understanding, my mother did not take any special paperwork, no many questions were asked either.

Her being single is the factor that is working the most against her. The way the consul looks at it. Your sister is a prime candidate for someone who will come to the US on a visitor visa, marry a citizen and stay back.

Her being single is the factor that is working the most against her. The way the consul looks at it. Your sister is a prime candidate for someone who will come to the US on a visitor visa, marry a citizen and stay back.

Thank you for your response, I totally understand that but the fact is she will not stay back nor is she interested in marrying. How can she prove that?

This question does not have a quantitative answer. All an applicant can do is document their ties as best as possible and hope for the best. I totally understand the frustration. I once had to wait 22 months for a single visit visa to be approved. You can imagine my frustration, specially when I hold two citizenships that provide the passport holder a lot of visa free travel :)

I wish your sister the best of luck for her next attempt.

How can she prove that?

This question does not have a quantitative answer. All an applicant can do is document their ties as best as possible and hope for the best. I totally understand the frustration. I once had to wait 22 months for a single visit visa to be approved. You can imagine my frustration, specially when I hold two citizenships that provide the passport holder a lot of visa free travel :)

I wish your sister the best of luck for her next attempt.

Thank you for the wishes and sorry about your trouble.

I"m no expert on this whole thing, but changing couple of things may help

1) If your mother is showing 'self sponsor', change that to sponsor by you. In other words, the question where it is asked that "who's going to pay for your trip' enter, my son.

2) make a comprehensive asset statement for her, certified by the Chartered Accountant, showing every bit of asset, house, car, jwelery, bank deposits.

In the past I had wrote a letter to my area senator mentioning the situation and the senator had sent a request to consulate explaining situation, however, the senator will tell u that there is no gurantee because Consulates are not answerable to them.

Not sure if all these help or not. I just thought I would share my experiences...In the end, there is always a luck factor

My mother (homemaker/single parent/62 yrs old) applied for B2 visitor visa at Chennai US consulate in Nov 2005, she was asked two questions
1) Q: reason for visiting
A: see my son/daughter-in-law and sight seeing
2) Q: How much income you earn
A: around 10k/month
and was rejected immediately with 214b

She lives alone (deceased father) in my apartment back home with income from her bank deposits (no pension or other income)

In 2008 she visited my elder brother in Australia for 8 weeks on a tourist visa, my brother is a citizen of Australia.

We are planning to have my mother visit US for a short period (2 months) in April 2010. (I am on I485 adjustment of status and will be sponsoring her trip)

Any advice is highly appreciated.

Thanks

The time when a US congressperson's assistance is helpful is for a visa which directly affects the economy or an institution in their state - for example, a speaker at a professional conference sponsored by a university or governmental entity. It is unlikely that a request for an individual on a personal visit would make any difference at the consulate.

If it is a professional rather than a personal visit and the visa is in admin processing, intervention can expedite, but not override, processing.

Pardon my ignorance, but doesn't #1 render #2 useless?

1) If your mother is showing 'self sponsor', change that to sponsor by you. In other words, the question where it is asked that "who's going to pay for your trip' enter, my son.

2) make a comprehensive asset statement for her, certified by the Chartered Accountant, showing every bit of asset, house, car, jwelery, bank deposits.

The time when a US congressperson's assistance is helpful is for a visa which directly affects the economy or an institution in their state - for example, a speaker at a professional conference sponsored by a university or governmental entity. It is unlikely that a request for an individual on a personal visit would make any difference at the consulate.

If it is a professional rather than a personal visit and the visa is in admin processing, intervention can expedite, but not override, processing.

Good to know, I wish they state this clearly so we don't try this route and waste everyone's time.