1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are looking for volunteer moderators for the forums for various topics. If you are interested and feel that you have the experience for the same, please contact us with your name and topic of interest and your experience in the area in which you wish to volunteer. A moderator is required to visit the forum on a regular basis, control spam, report offending posters, provide recommendations for reorganizing the forums etc.
  3. US Immigration attorney, Rajiv S. Khanna hosts a free community conference call for US Immigration questions every other Thursday at 12:30 p.m, EST. You can post your questions in the conference call forum and dial into the call at (202)800-8394.

Re Entry Permit Renew/ Extend- Urgent

Discussion in 'Life After The Green Card' started by maewest416, Nov 15, 2006.

1. maewest416

maewest416 New Member

I am living outside USA for the past 1.5 years. I have a Green Card and had taken a Re Entry Permit when I left USA in May 2005. Its been 1.5 years and it will expire in 6 months. My question is:

How can I get the Re Entry Permit Renewed or extended?
    Can I do it from outside USA or I have to be within USA?
    Do I have to show in my passport that I visited USA in the last 6 months or a year?
    Also, is it possible to file for an extension of the re-entry permit after it expires or do you have to do it before it expires.

Pl this is very urgent.
  2. cezass

cezass Registered Users (C)

there is no such a thing like renew or extend.

you have to be in US to apply
  3. ginnu

ginnu Registered Users (C)

4. maewest416

maewest416 New Member

Thanks for the reply.
    Had couple of more questions:
    1. How long before the expiration date of Re Entry Permit do I need to enter USA? IS there any such requirement even if I enter 1 week before expiration is it OK?
    2. The information on USCIS website says that u have to submit old re entry permit when applying for the new one if it has not yet expired. If applying 1 week or so before expiration, do we still need to submit the old re entry permit?
    3. How long before expiration can u apply- what is the earliest u can apply for new re entry permit prior to expiration of the old one - can u apply say 6-9 months in advance or it has to be 1-2 months before?