re-entry permit/N470 questions

panthi

Thanks for the wealth of information already available on these forums. I find myself in a situation similar to many of the people posting here recently. Here is my situation:

1. I have had my GC for about two years. Now I am taking up a position with an Indian subsidiary of a major US corporation and intend to return afer two years. Can I file a re-entry permit for this purpose?

2. With the form I-131 do I need to enclose ANY documentation from the US corporation (or the Indian subsidiary)?

3. After getting the GC, my longest uniterrupted stay in US has been 345 days. Is there any point in even trying for N-470? Some local attorneys have said we could try, since it's ALMOST one year.

4. If N-470 is not an option, could I preserve residence for naturalization (in conjuction with my reentry permit) by visiting the US every six months?

Appreciate all help in advance.

Re: Re: re-entry permit/N470 questions

Thanks for the quick and detailed response.
Originally posted by JoeF
It is always the best to provide as much documentation as possible, since issuance of the reentry permit is discretionary.
In addition to the employment contract, what other documents could I submit in support of the re-entry permit application? Or is it sufficient to carry the supporting documens when re-entering the US?
Almost is not good enough. The law is clear. Anything under one year doesn't work.
Then obviously, these attorneys just wanted to make some quick dough!
That would take care of the continuous residency requirement. You still have to have 30 months of physical presence in the US to be eligible for citizenship. The reentry permit is irrelevant for citizenship eligibility.
If I plan to revisit the US every six months, do I even need the re-entry permit? Or is that necessary to facilitate my visits back?

Thanks again.