Re-entry Permit Biometrics

Alien2010

Registered Users (C)
How long does it take to get one? Can I file it then leave the states, come back for fingerprinting leave again and the lawyer can collect and forward it to me overseas?
I have seen conflicting info:
Page 2 of I-131 Instructions:
"However, if biometric collection is required and the applicant departs the United States before the biometrics are collected, the application may be denied"

USCIS website (USCIS Biometric Changes for Re-entry Permits and Refugee Travel Documents)
(http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...toid=9c1161ccdc20b110VgnVCM1000004718190aRCRD)
Q. I am a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) who will be out of the US for more than 1 year? What documents will I need to return to the US?
A. To reenter the U.S. an LPR normally needs to present his or her green card (Permanent Resident Card, Form I-551). A reentry permit is needed for reentry from absences outside the U.S. that are greater than one year but less than two years in duration. Thus, if an LPR anticipates remaining outside the U.S. for longer than one year, he/she will need to apply for a reentry permit while he or she is in the U.S. See 8 C.F.R. § 223.2(b)(1)(Re-entry permit may be approved IF filed by a person who is in the U.S. at the time of application)(emphasis added). An application is not complete until an individual has provided his or her fingerprints and photograph (i.e., biometrics). The newly revised I-131 instructions also provide procedures for requesting an expedited ASC appointment for biometrics collection and for requesting expedited delivery of a travel document, where needed. USCIS believes that the majority of LPRs who live abroad will be able to re-enter the U.S. using their Permanent Resident Cards. Those LPRs who currently live abroad, but who know that when they return to the U.S. they will need to apply for a Re-entry Permit because they plan to leave the U.S. again for more than a year and will need the permit to re-enter the next time they come to the U.S., USCIS encourages these LPRs to anticipate their need for the Re-entry Permit sufficiently in advance of their travel and, if necessary, to follow the procedures for obtaining an expedited ASC appointment where absolutely necessary. If the LPR departs from the U.S while the I-131 is pending, but before biometrics are taken, then the adjudication of the I-131 re-entry permit application will not be affected as long as the applicant returns to the U.S. to attend the biometrics appointment before the first year of foreign travel has ended. In such case, the LPR could apply for reentry to the U.S. using only his or her I-551 Permanent Resident Card if he has been absent for less than one year. We further note that if it is necessary, the LPR may make arrangements to have his Re-entry Permit delivered to him through a U.S. consulate or a USCIS office abroad. 8 C.F.R. 223.2(f).

Thanks in advance.

Yes, you can leave the US in between the date USCIS receives the reentry permit application and the biometrics. Upon approval it will either be delivered to the US address you specified, or abroad to a US consulate of your choice where you can pick it up.

Expect the biometrics appointment to be about 2-5 weeks after USCIS receives the application. However, once you have the biometrics notice, you can try for a walk-in before the appointment date. When you show up for the walk-in, simply show them the biometrics notice and act as if nothing is wrong; don't say anything about the date being too early unless they bring it up.

dont worry the person receiving the notice can reschedule without any problem. when you are ready, come for biometrics,
the reentry permit will be mailed at the adress you receive the biometrics notice.

Many thanks for the responses.
Would "finishing a job contract that was signed before green card" be an acceptable reason for the reentry permit application?

Hello I would like to know what to do in my case my travel was stolen before it got expired I am lpr according to the USCIS after talking to them. My I 94 states that I am admitted for an indefinite period of time need some advise please thank you very much

Hello I would like to know what to do in my
case my travel document was stolen before it got
expired I am lpr according to the USCIS
after talking to them. My I 94 states that I
am admitted for an indefinite period of time
need some advise please thank you very
much

Are you in the US? Did you file a police report? You should do that, and then indicate it as stolen, and include the report, the next time you apply for a new one.

Apply for a transportation letter at an embassy/consulate. Do you have a copy of the permit? That would help.

I dont have a copy of my permit they did check with the USCIS and was informed that I am LPR but later on I was advised by the embassy to apply for a returning resident visa after that CO told me I am not qualify for that while alot of people told me that the embassy should give me the
transportation letter to get back but unfortunately I think that Consular Officer does not what he is doing. After leaving the embassy I called the USCIS they should give me the transportation letter or to let in by visitor visa which I dont understand with this embassy.