• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Quick question

skokasik

I received a DV 2008 first package and needed to clarify about simple matter.

Once we are granted a Green Card from DV process, do we need to move to USA immediately or can we decide to move there whenever is convenient for us? Please clarify, any information would be appreciated. Thank you.

Regards

Goran, Thanks for the info.

Just want to follow up your answer, Is it within 6 months to settle down in USA? or just "visit" USA? I am in Canada finishing my study, so it might take a while before I can move to USA.

Any consequences if I end up not moving to USA after getting a GC? Assuming I get one!!

Thanks..

I received a DV 2008 first package and needed to clarify about simple matter.

Once we are granted a Green Card from DV process, do we need to move to USA immediately or can we decide to move there whenever is convenient for us? Please clarify, any information would be appreciated. Thank you.

Regards

As far as I know, you will be given a stamp on your passport once you pass the interviewing. Within 6 months, you need to enter US custom to receive your temporary GC valid for one year. As you can read from other thread, it will take from several weeks to a year to receive the actual GC.

You should be able to travel once you received your temporary GC, but it's better to wait until you receive the actual GC in the US. I read somewhere, correct me if I am wrong, with GC, if you need to travel outside of US more than six months, you need a special permit for re-entering US.

Hopefully that helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi toughcase, thanks for your help. I am not quite sure about that special permit. I will double check that later.

Assuming that I get that temporary GC, and travel to Canada. Do I need to provide them with USA home/mailing address or I can still use my current address in Canada?

Thanks

congratulations..

I read articles usually GC comes in 1 months after you entered to US. But it is usually because there were some cases it has delayed. Shortly, when you receive you GC (real one) you have to apply for re-entry permit if you will stay outside of the US more than 6 months. This is the safest option..you don't need to gamble with your GC.

here is general info for dv winners: http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=215048

Life after green card : http://boards.immigrationportal.com/forumdisplay.php?f=118

When you will read the related articles you will find the answers of your questions.

I read articles usually GC comes in 1 months after you entered to US. But it is usually because there were some cases it has delayed. Shortly, when you receive you GC (real one) you have to apply for re-entry permit if you will stay outside of the US more than 6 months. This is the safest option..you don't need to gamble with your GC.
CORRECTION: GC holder needs a re-entry permit only if he/she will stay outside the country for more than a year, not 6 months.

I feel comfortable knowing others have same situation as mine. I am also studying in Canada and hoping to finish next year.

I received DV 2008 NL Letter too last two week but I dont send them back to KCC yet. My problem is that I cannot provide US address for question #10 and #11 of DS230 form.

If I follow the process and get the visa soon (as my case number is low enough), I'll need to return to Canada may be before I receive the actual GC.

cheer,

hermawan