Questions on Process after 129F is approved...

clb36McLeanVA

Registered Users (C)
Hi. This is to share our Case History to benefit other couples, and to request feedback on recently completed K-3 (Spouse) visas/ process in 2006 with Chicago USCIS. I'm a female, U.S. Citizen, in Virginia. My husband is a citizen of India (Delhi). We married in India last month and just started the process for my husband's immigration. We are both working Professionals in the fields of Journalism and Information Technology.

We are looking for information on turnaround timeframes and process, so we may understand how the process unfolds with communication between the USCIS Chicago office, US Embassy in Delhi, and USCIS Vermont. Any feedback is welcomed and greatly appreciated.

Our Case History Timeline:
09/22/06 - Applicant (US Citizen) marries India Citizen, in Lucknow, India
10/04/06 - Applicant mailed I-130 Petition to USCIS Vermont via USPS
10/06/06 - Applicant rec'd USPS Return Receipt from USCIS Vermont
10/10/06 - USCIS Vermont sent I-797C NOA (Receipt Notice) for I-130
10/14/06 - Applicant rec'd I-797C NOA (Receipt Notice) for I-130
10/19/06 - Applicant mailed I-129F (K3 Visa) to USCIS Chicago via USPS
10/20/06 - Applicant mailed supporting K-3 docs to husband in India
- I-134 Affidavit of Support, and supporting docs
- DS-156 and DS-156K (Nonimmigrant VISA Application)
- I-693 Medical Exam Form
- Original Marriage Certificate
- Copy of I-130 Petition filed w/ Vermont
- Copy of I-797 NOA for I-130
- Copy of I-129F Petition filed w/ Chicago

Question 1:
Should we have filed the I-765 Application for Employment Authorization along with the I-129F at the same time with USCIS Chicago? It was not clear, so we did not file the I-765 on 10/19 with I-129F. Please advise.

Question 2:
What is the turnaround time for the K-3 visa (spouse) approval from the time of receipt? What is the "Security Clearance", that was requested on the person's discussion thread on this site, that was requested by Chicago USCIS?

Question 3:
Is 6 months the average turnaround time for the entire process of the K-3 visa? We thought it was 2-3 months, per the US Embassy in Delhi.

Respectfully submitted,
clb36McLeanVA

My K-3 petition has just been sent to Vermont for "speed processing". Anyone know how long it will take thereafter?

"Speed Processing"

Hi Rena,

What is "speed processing" and how did you come across this possibility? I just sent my K-3 petition to Chicago by normal US mail (express mail) and am waiting for the Return Receipt that they received it.

Thanks,
Cathy

rena2006 said:
My K-3 petition has just been sent to Vermont for "speed processing". Anyone know how long it will take thereafter?

The receipt notice took some time. Then I got it. Then I got a second notice saying that they have transferred my case to Vermont Service Center for speed processing. I don't know how long that will take but I'll keep you posted.

Where did you orginially send your paper work? Texas? I just sent my I-129F and Texas just received it. I wonder if they will send it somewhere else too.

Can you give me dates so I have a frame of reference?

Thanks, Rena. Do you have a timeline built? I'm wondering how long it took for you to receive your receipt notice (1st one) and then how long it took to receive your second notice. thanks... - clb

rena2006 said:
The receipt notice took some time. Then I got it. Then I got a second notice saying that they have transferred my case to Vermont Service Center for speed processing. I don't know how long that will take but I'll keep you posted.

Why did you send to Texas address?

Dear No mas Esposo (sad code name...)

Why did you send your paperwork to Texas? I didn't know they had a USCIS center to process I-129F (K3) there. I think they send it to your local USCIS processing center eventually anyway...it's a mystery to us. - clb

nomasesposo said:
Where did you orginially send your paper work? Texas? I just sent my I-129F and Texas just received it. I wonder if they will send it somewhere else too.

Updated Timeline as of 10/27/06:

10/23/06 - USCIS Chicago received I-129F Petition
10/25/06 - USCIS Chicago sent I-797C NOA (Receipt Notice) for I-129F
10/27/06 - Applicant rec'd I-797C NOA (Receipt Notice) for I-129F

K-3 Timeline

Well, here is story. I filled I-130 when I was on Green card but recently became US citizen. I send out paper works to upgrade my petition. Sametime I did sent out I-129F for K-3 visa. Here is time line.

1) I-129F mailed: 09/18/2006
2) Notice date: 09/20/2006
3) Transfer to Vermont: 10/25/2006 (recieved letter from National benefit center, St. Luois, MO) they have transfer my case to vermont to speed up process.

4) Waiting what will come next.

Lets share anbd help each other to get through this so we all can meet our loves one.

Thanks

clb36McLeanVA said:
Hi. This is to share our Case History to benefit other couples, and to request feedback on recently completed K-3 (Spouse) visas/ process in 2006 with Chicago USCIS. I'm a female, U.S. Citizen, in Virginia. My husband is a citizen of India (Delhi). We married in India last month and just started the process for my husband's immigration. We are both working Professionals in the fields of Journalism and Information Technology.

We are looking for information on turnaround timeframes and process, so we may understand how the process unfolds with communication between the USCIS Chicago office, US Embassy in Delhi, and USCIS Vermont. Any feedback is welcomed and greatly appreciated.

Our Case History Timeline:
10/20/06 - Applicant mailed supporting K-3 docs to husband in India
- I-134 Affidavit of Support, and supporting docs
- DS-156 and DS-156K (Nonimmigrant VISA Application)
- I-693 Medical Exam Form
- Original Marriage Certificate
- Copy of I-130 Petition filed w/ Vermont
- Copy of I-797 NOA for I-130
- Copy of I-129F Petition filed w/ Chicago

Question 1:
Should we have filed the I-765 Application for Employment Authorization along with the I-129F at the same time with USCIS Chicago? It was not clear, so we did not file the I-765 on 10/19 with I-129F. Please advise.

Question 2:
What is the turnaround time for the K-3 visa (spouse) approval from the time of receipt? What is the "Security Clearance", that was requested on the person's discussion thread on this site, that was requested by Chicago USCIS?

Question 3:
Is 6 months the average turnaround time for the entire process of the K-3 visa? We thought it was 2-3 months, per the US Embassy in Delhi.

Respectfully submitted,
clb36McLeanVA

You can not file for the EAD unless you get to the US. The EAD is advised to be filed with the AOS application package when you get to the US on the K-3 visa.

The K-3 visa is generally issued in 6-8 months time.

TheRock20148 said:
Well, here is story. I filled I-130 when I was on Green card but recently became US citizen. I send out paper works to upgrade my petition. Sametime I did sent out I-129F for K-3 visa. Here is time line.

1) I-129F mailed: 09/18/2006
2) Notice date: 09/20/2006
3) Transfer to Vermont: 10/25/2006 (recieved letter from National benefit center, St. Luois, MO) they have transfer my case to vermont to speed up process.

4) Waiting what will come next.

Lets share anbd help each other to get through this so we all can meet our loves one.

Thanks

TheRock20148,

My daughter's case is similar to yours.

Filed I-130 as LPR on May 23 2006 and NOA received May 30,2006
Become USC Sept 14, 2006
Upgraded I-130 to IR Sept 15,2006
Filed I-129F (K3) on Sept 20,2006 and NOA received Sept 29, 2006
I-129F transferred to VSC on October 25, 2006 for speed processing

Please keep me posted of the developments and I will do likewise.

Philraj1 said:
TheRock20148,

My daughter's case is similar to yours.

Filed I-130 as LPR on May 23 2006 and NOA received May 30,2006
Become USC Sept 14, 2006
Upgraded I-130 to IR Sept 15,2006
Filed I-129F (K3) on Sept 20,2006 and NOA received Sept 29, 2006
I-129F transferred to VSC on October 25, 2006 for speed processing

Please keep me posted of the developments and I will do likewise.

Here's the update on my daughter's case:

Nov 18,2006 both I-130 and I-129F have been approved. Received email from USCIS.

What is the best route to take? I-130 and adjust status at US consulate Chennai-India or I-129F. I would prefer the I-130 route because it is a one shot process and get greencard immediately.

Any input on this appreciated.

Philraj1 said:
Here's the update on my daughter's case:

Nov 18,2006 both I-130 and I-129F have been approved. Received email from USCIS.

What is the best route to take? I-130 and adjust status at US consulate Chennai-India or I-129F. I would prefer the I-130 route because it is a one shot process and get greencard immediately.

Any input on this appreciated.

Any opinions on this is appreciated. I am confused. The I-130 approval says if the beneficiary is applying for visa outside the US you should send form I-824 with fee of $200/- to send the petition to National Visa Center.(though in the I-130 application we had clearly mentioned that the beneficary will apply for visa in India) At the same time the I-129F/K3 approval says that the petition has been sent to National Visa Center and they will contact the beneficiary about further processing.

Any ideas which one to proceed with ???

Last edited by a moderator:
I-130 was filed May 30,2006 while my daughter was a LPR and then upgraded to IR on Sept 22,2006 when she became a USC. I-129F/K3 was filed Sept 22, 2006. Both petitions were approved on Nov 18th, 2006

Hi guys,

Do you have any further updates on your K-3 processing? I will really appreciate your input. I am in similar situation. Although, my wife's IR1 is going through escalated processing since I have become citizen, but I am not sure what will happen to my daughter's case who was born 3 months before I became citizen. Therefore, I am applying for K-3 and K-4 visa processing for them rather than IR1.

Thanks,

So what did you end up doing. My case is the same. The I-130 approval notice seems to think my husband will be applying for a visa here when I clearly indicated on my petition that he would be applying abroad. Should I send the I-824.

So confused!!!!

Rena:

My son-in-law received his K-3 visa interview notice from US Consulate, Chennai for the end of Jan 2007. In the meantime filed I-824 to forward the I-130 petition to Chennai for consular processing. Just waiting to see how this progresses....