Questions about traveling to Canada

pplu

Registered Users (C)
My family are going to Canada through Buffalo to visit my sister.

My passport currently is being renewed. Do I need it for the trip?

I checked some posts here about traveling to Canada, and I am a bit confused. Some posts say the required docs are GC + passport while some claim that passport is never needed.

Anyone had crossing-border experience recently? I appreciate any reply.

Amazing what a little Googling can turn up.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

Under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)

The proposed implementation timeline has two phases:

* Beginning January 23, 2007, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda will be required to present a valid passport, Air NEXUS card, or U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document, or an Alien Registration Card, Form I-551, if applicable.
* As early as January 1, 2008, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda by land or sea (including ferries), may be required to present a valid passport or other documents as determined by the Department of Homeland Security. While recent legislative changes permit a later deadline, the Departments of State and Homeland Security are working to meet all requirements as soon as possible. Ample advance notice will be provided to enable the public to obtain passports or passport cards for land/sea entries.

Since your are going to Canada through a land crossing you shouldn't need a passport. A GC should be just fine. I think passport for land crossings aren't required until Jan. 2008.

I am in a similar situation but I am flying to Canada in the beginning of February and my passport is expired but GC is still valid. I called the Canadian consulate and they said I can enter Canada with just the GC but they weren't sure about reentering the US.
Any help would be appreciated!!!

Thank You!

Last edited by a moderator:
I crossed the border twice by car in the past weekend. Passport wasn't needed.

Not sure about flying. But I guess it is not needed.

AOS_GUY said:
Since your are going to Canada through a land crossing you shouldn't need a passport. A GC should be just fine. I think passport for land crossings aren't required until Jan. 2008.

I am in a similar situation but I am flying to Canada in the beginning of February and my passport is expired but GC is still valid. I called the Canadian consulate and they said I can enter Canada with just the GC but they weren't sure about reentering the US.
Any help would be appreciated!!!

Thank You!