• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Questions about the DV lottery and documents required

Thanks alot bentlebee
as i have said my interveiw is 4/10/09. but i still didnt recive my 2nd nl. the Saudi police report here takes about 2-3 weeks to comeout. My question is, is there a way the embassy can give a police report request without the 2nd nl,to get a the police report.
and thanks again

@igotnews, would advice you call your police department to find out from them what you can do in your situation. You can also send KCC an email, once they reply confirming your interview date you should be able to use that confirmation email with the first NL to probably get the police report.you can also wait another week for your 2nd NL, it should arrive soon.

@igotnews, would advice you call your police department to find out from them what you can do in your situation. You can also send KCC an email, once they reply confirming your interview date you should be able to use that confirmation email with the first NL to probably get the police report.you can also wait another week for your 2nd NL, it should arrive soon.

like music to my ears
thanks man;)

I think this is probably the best advice you could have looking at your current position. Many past winners followed this advice and they didn't have any problems getting their police and medical certificates.

thanks alot mykoko & ammeck09
i was about to do what you guys told me but today i recived my 2nd NL

thanks alot mykoko & ammeck09
i was about to do what you guys told me but today i recived my 2nd NL

Hi igotnews,

Can you please indicate the date on the second letter and where do you live. According to KCC my interview is 5th October but I have not received my letter as yet. I wanted to know how long it took you to receive the letter after it was posted.

DIVERSITY IMMIGRANT (DV) CATEGORY

Section 203(c) of the Immigration and Nationality Act provides a maximum of up to 55,000 immigrant visas each fiscal year to permit immigration opportunities for persons from countries other than the principal sources of current immigration to the United States. The Nicaraguan and Central American Relief Act (NACARA) passed by Congress in November 1997 stipulates that beginning with DV-99, and for as long as necessary, up to 5,000 of the 55,000 annually-allocated diversity visas will be made available for use under the NACARA program. This reduction has resulted in the DV-2009 annual limit being reduced to 50,000. DV visas are divided among six geographic regions. No one country can receive more than seven percent of the available diversity visas in any one year.

For October, immigrant numbers in the DV category are available to qualified DV-2010 applicants chargeable to all regions/eligible countries as follows. When an allocation cut-off number is shown, visas are available only for applicants with DV regional lottery rank numbers BELOW the specified allocation cut-off number:
Region All DV Chargeability Areas Except Those Listed Separately

AFRICA 8,300

Except:
Egypt:
Ethiopia:
Nigeria:
ASIA 7,000
EUROPE 9,100
NORTH AMERICA (BAHAMAS) 2
OCEANIA 375
SOUTH AMERICA, and the CARIBBEAN 450

Entitlement to immigrant status in the DV category lasts only through the end of the fiscal (visa) year for which the applicant is selected in the lottery. The year of entitlement for all applicants registered for the DV-2010 program ends as of September 30, 2010. DV visas may not be issued to DV-2010 applicants after that date. Similarly, spouses and children accompanying or following to join DV-2010principals are only entitled to derivative DV status until September 30, 2010. DV visa availability through the very end of FY-2010 cannot be taken for granted. Numbers could be exhausted prior to September 30.

C. ADVANCE NOTIFICATION OF THE DIVERSITY (DV) IMMIGRANT CATEGORY RANK
CUT-OFFS WHICH WILL APPLY IN NOVEMBER

For November, immigrant numbers in the DV category are available to qualified
DV-2010 applicants chargeable to all regions/eligible countries as follows. When an allocation cut-off number is shown, visas are available only for applicants with DV regional lottery rank numbers BELOW the specified allocation cut-off number:
Region All DV Chargeability Areas Except Those Listed Separately

AFRICA 14,000

Except:
Egypt:
Ethiopia:
Nigeria:
ASIA 7,200
EUROPE 9,500
NORTH AMERICA (BAHAMAS) 2
OCEANIA 475
SOUTH AMERICA, and the CARIBBEAN 575

Hi
I would like to know if one is given a copy of the medical examination results for his own records. I hear the results are sealed in an envelope that you are asked not to open. Will I therefore be given my own copy to keep.

You get a copy for your self...the sealed envelope contains the same paper but sealed...at least that is what they told my friend.

Some participants of the American Visa Lottery are expressing doubts over the manner the American Embassy in Accra is dealing with them.

According to them the embassy is all out to deny some of them the chance of traveling to the United States of America (USA) without any tangible reason.

The Enquirer is reliably informed that some of the participants have planned to stage a demonstration at the Embassy building at Cantonments in Accra on Monday.

"We have paid $775 as visa fee and that money is quite heavy and now we are not hearing anything positive from the Embassy," one of them said.

Apart from that, the group told The Enquirer that they had to spend another $300 on medical examination.

"We had to pay money for police report clearing us of any criminal records," they told The Enquirer.

According to them, Embassy officials are now trying to use DS230 part one and two of the form to disqualify some of them.

That part of the form requires that the applicant should under affidavit provide the addresses of the person who supports him or her.

The motive is that winners of the lottery would not have the necessary documents while in the United States unless after one month.

Again, the applicant should provide the address of the person to stay with while in the United States.

The argument of the embassy, according to the group, is that they provided different addresses and that is why they are being disqualified.

They, however, told Thy Enquirer that it is possible to have two or more people accommodating a person and another supporting that person.

"Are the Embassy officials trying to tell us that we do not know how to provide information?

"We think that there is ,something fishy somewhere and that must be addressed in earnest for them to do the right thing" they said.

They, therefore, called on the Minister of Foreign Affairs Alhaji Mohammed Mumuni to intervene to ensure that they are given the right deal.

"We are appealing to the government through the Foreign Affairs Minister to help us solve the issue," they said,

Source: Enquirer/Ghana

Some participants of the American Visa Lottery are expressing doubts over the manner the American Embassy in Accra is dealing with them.

According to them the embassy is all out to deny some of them the chance of traveling to the United States of America (USA) without any tangible reason.

The Enquirer is reliably informed that some of the participants have planned to stage a demonstration at the Embassy building at Cantonments in Accra on Monday.

"We have paid $775 as visa fee and that money is quite heavy and now we are not hearing anything positive from the Embassy," one of them said.

Apart from that, the group told The Enquirer that they had to spend another $300 on medical examination.

"We had to pay money for police report clearing us of any criminal records," they told The Enquirer.

According to them, Embassy officials are now trying to use DS230 part one and two of the form to disqualify some of them.

That part of the form requires that the applicant should under affidavit provide the addresses of the person who supports him or her.

The motive is that winners of the lottery would not have the necessary documents while in the United States unless after one month.

Again, the applicant should provide the address of the person to stay with while in the United States.

The argument of the embassy, according to the group, is that they provided different addresses and that is why they are being disqualified.

They, however, told Thy Enquirer that it is possible to have two or more people accommodating a person and another supporting that person.

"Are the Embassy officials trying to tell us that we do not know how to provide information?

"We think that there is ,something fishy somewhere and that must be addressed in earnest for them to do the right thing" they said.

They, therefore, called on the Minister of Foreign Affairs Alhaji Mohammed Mumuni to intervene to ensure that they are given the right deal.

"We are appealing to the government through the Foreign Affairs Minister to help us solve the issue," they said,

Source: Enquirer/Ghana

You can check out the stories from this website.

http://news.myjoyonline.com/news/200909/35727.asp

http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/NewsArchive/artikel.php?ID=169460

sponsorship

Hi,

Do we need to take the sponsorship letter to the interview? and which form is it exactly? thanx.

WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama said Friday the U.S. will overturn a 22-year-old travel and immigration ban against people with HIV early next year. The order will be finalized on Monday, Obama said, completing a process begun during the Bush administration.

The U.S. has been among a dozen countries that bar entry to travelers with visas or anyone seeking a green card based on their HIV status.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091030/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_obama_aids

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama said Friday the U.S. will overturn a 22-year-old travel and immigration ban against people with HIV early next year.

The order will be finalized on Monday, Obama said, completing a process begun during the Bush administration.

The U.S. has been among a dozen countries that bar entry to travelers with visas or anyone seeking a green card based on their HIV status.

"If we want to be the global leader in combatting HIV/AIDS, we need to act like it," Obama said at the White House before signing a bill to extend the Ryan White HIV/AIDS program. Begun in 1990, the program provides medical care, medication and support services to about half a million people, most of them low-income.

The bill is named for an Indiana teenager who contracted AIDS through a blood transfusion at age 13. White went on to fight AIDS-related discrimination against him and others like him and help educate the country about the disease. He died in April 1990 at the age of 18.

His mother, Jeanne White-Ginder, attended the signing ceremony, as did several members of Congress and HIV/AIDS activists.

In 1987, at a time of widespread fear and ignorance about HIV, the Department of Health and Human Services added the disease to the list of communicable diseases that disqualified a person from entering the U.S.

The department tried in 1991 to reverse its decision but was opposed by Congress, which went the other way two years later and made HIV infection the only medical condition explicitly listed under immigration law as grounds for inadmissibility to the U.S.

The law effectively has kept out thousands of students, tourists and refugees and has complicated the adoption of children with HIV. No major international AIDS conference has been held in the U.S. since 1993, because HIV-positive activists and researchers cannot enter the country.

Obama said that by lifting the ban, the U.S. will take a step toward ending the stigma against people with HIV/AIDS, something he said has stopped people from getting tested and has helped spread the disease. More than 1 million people live with HIV/AIDS in the U.S., and more than 56,000 new infections are reported every year.

Obama noted his own effort several years ago to help combat the stigma. During a 2006 visit to Kenya, his father's native country, then-Sen. Obama and his wife, Michelle, publicly took an HIV/AIDS test.

The 11 other countries that ban HIV-positive travelers and immigrants are: Armenia, Brunei, Iraq, Libya, Moldova, Oman, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Korea and Sudan, according to the advocacy group Immigration Equality.

Several such groups welcomed Obama's announcement.

Rachel B. Tiven, executive director of Immigration Equality, said the ban pointlessly has barred people from the U.S. and separated families with no benefit to public health.

"Now, those families can be reunited, and the United States can put its mouth where its money is: ending the stigma that perpetuates HIV transmission, supporting science and welcoming those who seek to build a life in this country," said Tiven, whose organization works for fairness in immigration for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and HIV-positive people.

Hi,

Do we need to take the sponsorship letter to the interview? and which form is it exactly? thanx.

You will need to take the sponsorship letter along with you when going for the interview. The form to use is the Affidavit of Support(I-134). Just tell your sponsor to fill that and send it to you. you will then have to take that to your interview.You can download the form from this website.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-134instr.pdf

Hey guys I got my 2nd NL yesterday. It doesn't really contain much info. Just 3 sheets of papers confirming when your interview is due and that you should bring the originals of all your documents.

Hi bonno

i have the same situation like you. i need certificate of good conduct from ethiopia. but i am not currently living there.
So please let me know what you did in your case.

Thanks.

Hi Mykoko

Thanks for the info and sorry for the late reply.
i have a question, what are your sources for this info?
The info i had saying that the "ethiopian police clearance is available only to residents" is on the wabsite of the us department of state (travel.state.gov.)
The fact is the french police doesn't want to take my fingerprints they say that they only do that for convicts.
So that is why i insist on the version given by the department of state.

Thanks again

Hi bonno

i have the same situation like you. i need certificate of good conduct from ethiopia. but i am not currently living there.
So please let me know what you did in your case.

Thanks.

You will need to take the sponsorship letter along with you when going for the interview. The form to use is the Affidavit of Support(I-134). Just tell your sponsor to fill that and send it to you. you will then have to take that to your interview.You can download the form from this website.

Hi Mykoko!
Can u explain the whole process of filing the Affidavit of Support(I-134). As far as I learnt that the sponsor needs to fill up the form and submit to the USCIS office along with the supporting documents for the verification.
Now my question is as follows:
1. Where is the USCIS office in Virginia(US)?
2. Once the I134 is submitted to the USCIS and after marking verified return them back to the sponsor so that the sponsor sends them back to me to my country.
3.Or the USCIS sends the document directly to the embassy of my home country.
4.Could you provide me with any links that explains all this?
thanx in advance