question

Zbrown

Registered Users (C)
Im currently a Canadian citizen but my girlfriend lives in the US im looking for help on what kind of visa i would need to be there for about 2 years. We are planning to move back to Canada by the end of the 2 years so im just wondering if i can get a straight answer on what i should need to do in order to get, say, a visitors visa or what ever i need to be able to live there for the the 2 years.
What process must i go through to get it situated?
What type of visa should i look at?
Any information regarding this would be of great importance and help, thank you

I will not be coming into the US with a job in place i will be unemployeed. I need to know what visas are available to me if i was just going to come there unemployeed trying to find work while living with my girlfriend. Im looking for a visa that will keep me there as a visitor not a citizen since we will be leaving in a year or two, also need to know if said visa is renewable if it only lasts 6 months or a year
Im also looking into how much it will cost to have the visa done, could i even get a job while on the visa, and what terms need to be met to aquire it.
Any information on what Visa to get would be helpful, the H1B visa is NOT an option for me being i am not going there with a job waiting

You may NOT enter the US to work without work authorization. You may visit for a limited period of time. You may not live in the US on a visit visa.

If you possess a BS/BA degree with skills necessary in the US, you can find an employer who will file for a visa for you. As a Canadian, you qualify for TN as well as L1 and H1B.

Living with your girl friend is not a reason for entry. Marry her and she can sponsor you as a dependent.

What you are trying to do is not permissible on a visit visa. You can look for work while visitng but you cannot start working. You can visit your girlfriend for 6 months, but you cannot live with her for a year or two.

I need to know what visas are available to me if i was just going to come there unemployeed trying to find work while living with my girlfriend. Im looking for a visa that will keep me there as a visitor not a citizen since

Ok so i have a plan set out, gonna go for te visitors visa, how do i attain one? is it something im able to do over the internet or something i have to go to get done in person and how long does this process take?

Canadian citizens do not need a visa to visit the US.

Really? i thought i heard somewhere if i was staying longer than 30 days that id need a visa but i cant actually visit for the full duration if i did have a visit visa? 6 months i believe...Id be trying to stay for 2 years roughly

EDIT
Id be trying to get sponsored on a work visa during my visit there since i know i probably couldnt stretch the visit visa 2 years long

There is no such thing as a family visa. For a visit visa, you need to file a DS-156 with your nearest US embassy/consulate.
However as I said before, Canadian citizens do not need a visit visa for the US.

Im talking more or less about a visiters visa or this family visa that was mentioned

There is no such thing as a family visa. For a visit visa, you need to file a DS-156 with your nearest US embassy/consulate.
However as I said before, Canadian citizens do not need a visit visa for the US.

Right, but im staying way longer than a visit almost 2 years, if im unable to find a job within the 6 months i believe is the max a visit allows, besides getting married i wont have any options of staying, right?