• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Question regarding name change! DV Lottery 2015.

Thanks, it is good to hear.
I have a question about interview scheduling.
For a single month, when two otherwise identical cases (same Consulate) become current would they schedule them in the order of their CNs or date DS 260 was processed/submitted?
What about a Consulate in the country where there are only a few DV cases per month. If my number is just below the cut-off for a given month, but my case is the only one DV case for a Consulate in the country, could I be scheduled earlier then lower CNs in other, busier countries? So, for a single month scheduling, does scheduled date depend on some global CNs sequence, or is it based on Consulate's capacity in that single month?

I realize that this information may not be publicly available. I would appreciate your opinions based on what you have heard of.
Thank you,

Thanks, it is good to hear.
I have a question about interview scheduling.
For a single month, when two otherwise identical cases (same Consulate) become current would they schedule them in the order of their CNs or date DS 260 was processed/submitted?
What about a Consulate in the country where there are only a few DV cases per month. If my number is just below the cut-off for a given month, but my case is the only one DV case for a Consulate in the country, could I be scheduled earlier then lower CNs in other, busier countries? So, for a single month scheduling, does scheduled date depend on some global CNs sequence, or is it based on Consulate's capacity in that single month?

I realize that this information may not be publicly available. I would appreciate your opinions based on what you have heard of.
Thank you,

The ordering within a given month is a bit of a mystery - it is not by case number order but it also does not appear to be earliest submission first possibly alphabetical or possibly even hight. Who knows.

They certainly do ignore countries - so yes if you in your only case for the consulate example you would be interviewed before lower cases in other consulates.

The proposal went pretty good. However, I probably over estimated her knowledge of western type proposals. She could not give up thinking that the ring comes standard with the toy.
We are leaning towards not changing her name after marriage, since it's a very tedious process to change everything to a new name here. Since it's a marriage after selection, and if we decide not to change the maiden name, will this raise questions at the interview? What's your opinion?

Thank you,

The proposal went pretty good. However, I probably over estimated her knowledge of western type proposals. She could not give up thinking that the ring comes standard with the toy.
We are leaning towards not changing her name after marriage, since it's a very tedious process to change everything to a new name here. Since it's a marriage after selection, and if we decide not to change the maiden name, will this raise questions at the interview? What's your opinion?

Thank you,

My wife is Spanish, and in Spain they don't typically change to a married name. People have two lastnames, one from the father one from the mother. All very odd. So if the father is Juan Lopez Garcia and the mother is Julia Blanco Marcos then they would stay that way after marriage. Then any children would have the lastname of "Lopez Blanco". IT is a wonder anyone knows who they are related to!

So the point of all that story was that in the UK, USA and most other countries in the west, the woman takes the husbands name. Then any children have the family name. That works well as computer systems and people are expecting that. So, if you turn up to pick up your kids from somewhere you will be "connected" with your child. That makes sense to people.

So - I recommend changing the name - it might seem odd to her (or her family) but it is a custom here in the USA...

I have a different question about names that I put into DS260.
In my passport only first and last names appear in English, however there is also a middle name that appears in my native language only. In the form it asks for a name "as it appears in your document". My middle name in English appears in some other documents, such as the diploma from the US.
Here is what looks logical to me: I only input my first and last name in this section. I input my full name (first, middle, last) in the cell "Full name in Native Alphabet". I input transliterated middle name in "Other names used" section.

Please advise if it make sense or not.

Thank you so much.

When I was entering DV2015 lottery I transliterated and inputted my middle name, which I am not sure I should do when I enter DV2016. I was not selected though, my now wife was. So, please let me of your opinions regarding above post.

Thank you in advance.

Don't do anything based on something you plan to do - only show the changed name if the name change gas actually happened (through marriage I assume). Once married, yes, input her new married name with the maiden name in the other names used section. That won't be a problem at all.

Also, get on with the marriage! Once you have done that, submit your Ds260 and I would also send a copy of the marriage cert by email to KCC (after the 260 has been processed)
Hi Britsimon-san,
We got happily married and submitted the ds260. As you indicate, we need to send the copy of the marriage certificate after ds260 has been processed.
1)What is the way to know when it has been processed, is a phone call the only option?

2)After submission, on the confirmation page it says "not to send them anything" and they "may request additional documents". Do we wait until they request it, or do we bring it up to their attention in the email?

3)Also, I assume it can be translated and certified by the applicant her-self. Is that right?

Thanks a lot,

Hi Britsimon-san,
We got happily married and submitted the ds260. As you indicate, we need to send the copy of the marriage certificate after ds260 has been processed.
1)What is the way to know when it has been processed, is a phone call the only option?

2)After submission, on the confirmation page it says "not to send them anything" and they "may request additional documents". Do we wait until they request it, or do we bring it up to their attention in the email?

3)Also, I assume it can be translated and certified by the applicant her-self. Is that right?

Thanks a lot,

Scrub what I said, I have a feeling I was thinking about something else. No need to wait to send the marriage cert, send it ASAP.

1. Yes phone if you want to know.
2. Send it anyway.
3. No, have a third party do it.

Thank you very much.
Is it that critical to do it ASAP, will we miss out on anything? Would a couple of weeks make any difference (case number is due for Aut-Sept)?

I emailed KCC about marriage certificate, they replied "we may carry this information to the interview appointment". I will, however, email them the certificate later on anyway.

The reason to send it is to make sure that you are both on the interview. Some embassies are picky about who arrives for the interview, so there is no harm in sending it to KCC.

The reason to send it is to make sure that you are both on the interview. Some embassies are picky about who arrives for the interview, so there is no harm in sending it to KCC.
Does it mean they should include my (derivative) name in the 2NL?
Would I need to get an acknowledgement from them that they received the certificate?

Thank you,

My 2NL listed all the derivatives, but that should come from the correctly filled DS forms.
I would take a copy of the mail from KCC that tells you to take it to the embassy.

Does it mean they should include my (derivative) name in the 2NL?
Would I need to get an acknowledgement from them that they received the certificate?

Thank you,

The reason we ask people to send in such documents to KCC is to make sure you've crossed all your t's and dotted your i's.

In the past when the DS form wasn't filled and submitted online, we know of people who got disqualified at the time of the interview even though the DS form for the new derivative was filled and submitted to KCC and the derivative's name was on the interview letter, but we believe KCC had flagged their file before forwarding it to the embassy. A woman had a baby (not quite sure if it was prior to or after selection), anyway it was after the eDV registration, she listed the baby on her DS form and filled out one for the baby too but never sent the baby's B/C to KCC, she and the entire family got denied at the time of their interview.

So if I was in your shoes, u would still email the marriage certificate to KCC even though they've said 'you may take it' to your interview. You will not get an acknowledgement but you can print out your email and take that with you when the time comes.

The reason we ask people to send in such documents to KCC is to make sure you've crossed all your t's and dotted your i's.

In the past when the DS form wasn't filled and submitted online, we know of people who got disqualified at the time of the interview even though the DS form for the new derivative was filled and submitted to KCC and the derivative's name was on the interview letter, but we believe KCC had flagged their file before forwarding it to the embassy. A woman had a baby (not quite sure if it was prior to or after selection), anyway it was after the eDV registration, she listed the baby on her DS form and filled out one for the baby too but never sent the baby's B/C to KCC, she and the entire family got denied at the time of their interview.

So if I was in your shoes, u would still email the marriage certificate to KCC even though they've said 'you may take it' to your interview. You will not get an acknowledgement but you can print out your email and take that with you when the time comes.
Got it, will do. Thanks a lot. I also emailed the Embassy and brought it up while clarifying on Embassy-specific procedures.

Hi everyone, I have question on behalf of my friend who won DV2018 and has a problem regarding name.

As per her passport, her surname is X Y & given name is Z. But at the time of DV form, she had filled the first name as Z, middle name as Y & last name as X.

Now, she had been randomly selected for Diversity Immigrant Visa Program for the fiscal year 2018. And, received details as below:

Case No: 2018XXXXXXXXXXX

Principal Applicant Name: Y, Z X

And, DS-260 online form, she has applied/filled her correct name as per passport.

Now, I need your advise!!! Do she need to report/email the matter to KCC? It should be effect for her selection for 2nd letter???

Thank you!!

Hi everyone, I have question on behalf of my friend who won DV2018 and has a problem regarding name.

As per her passport, her surname is X Y & given name is Z. But at the time of DV form, she had filled the first name as Z, middle name as Y & last name as X.

Now, she had been randomly selected for Diversity Immigrant Visa Program for the fiscal year 2018. And, received details as below:

Case No: 2018XXXXXXXXXXX

Principal Applicant Name: Y, Z X

And, DS-260 online form, she has applied/filled her correct name as per passport.

Now, I need your advise!!! Do she need to report/email the matter to KCC? It should be effect for her selection for 2nd letter???

Thank you!!

The order on the notification shows how she entered the information.

she actually filled the first name as Z, middle name as X & last name as Y.

Because she has entered correctly in the DS260, she will be fine. No problem.