• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Question regarding name change! DV Lottery 2015.

Doni19

Registered Users (C)
Hello everyone, actually im asking this question on behalf of my friend who won Dv2015 and has a problem regarding name change.

The situation is this :

He is married since 2011, in october 2013 the time when he applied for dv lottery as wife last name he used the last name she had before he got married with her ( lets take "X" as an example of last name), the same last name she uses right now too, plus she has that last name in her passport and on her I.D. On her marriage certificate is written down her husband last name ( lets take "Y"
as an example of last name ), on DS-260 when he filled the form as last name for her he used " X" her last name written on marriage certificate not the one in the other documents. Now since we emailed the KCC to change some stuff in the application, they gave him the possibility to modify anything on the application.

Hes thinking to apply for a new passport for his wife and use the name on the marriage certificate "Y"
How can we fix this problem? What name to use on DS-260?
And if anyone knows, approximately how much time the KCC gave him to modify his application, all i mean can we wait 2-3 days to change anything on application?

Thanks.

Going forward, my suggestion would be to use the husband's last name (Y) on the DS-260 form, while her maiden name (X), which was used for the eDV application can be listed under the other names section on the form. And yes, they should go ahead and apply for a new passport with (Y) as the last name. Bear in mind, the GC will be issued based on the name shown on the passport, however, if she wants her GC in her maiden name, then no poin in making any change to the name.

In order to avoid difficulty in identifying and processing aliens coming into the United States, DHS requires that an alien’s name be spelled on Form I-94, Arrival and Departure Record, exactly as the name appears on the alien’s passport.

Consular officers must assist DHS by ensuring that the names of visa applicants are spelled the same on their visa applications Form DS-260, Online Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration, immigrant visas, and passports. If an alien’s name has been misspelled on the passport, the alien must have the passport amended to show the correct spelling.

A female alien who marries subsequent to the filing of the petition Form I-130, Petition For Alien Relative, or Form I-140, Immigrant Petition For Alien Worker, but prior to visa issuance, must indicate this on Form DS-260, Online Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration, by answering yes to "Have you ever used another name (i.e., maiden, religious, professional, alias, etc.)?" and listing her maiden name in the "Other Surnames Used (maiden, religious professional, alias, etc.)" field. If Form DS-260 has already been submitted, the alien must advise the consular officer of the marriage to ensure that Form DS-260 is amended.

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/87909.pdf (pg. 2)

I know someone may decide to point out that the 1st quote deals with spelling errors and the 2nd one addresses the issue of a woman who got married after the selection in the case of DV applicants, IMO, the two scenarios are equally applicable to your friend's situation.

Going forward, my suggestion would be to use the husband's last name (Y) on the DS-260 form, while her maiden name (X), which was used for the eDV application can be listed under the other names section on the form. And yes, they should go ahead and apply for a new passport with (Y) as the last name. Bear in mind, the GC will be issued based on the name shown on the passport, however, if she wants her GC in her maiden name, then no poin in making any change to the name.

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/87909.pdf (pg. 2)

I know someone may decide to point out that the 1st quote deals with spelling errors and the 2nd one addresses the issue of a woman who got married after the selection in the case of DV applicants, IMO, the two scenarios are equally applicable to your friend's situation.

Mom I got a problem !!!
My wife passport doest show the last letter on her name, because the say the sytem only shows english character!
Lets say for exemple: my wife is lizlé
But now because of the (é) only shows lizl

What can i do now ???

Mom I got a problem !!!
My wife passport doest show the last letter on her name, because the say the sytem only shows english character!
Lets say for exemple: my wife is lizlé
But now because of the (é) only shows lizl

What can i do now ???

Unfortunately 9 FAM Appendix F Section 500, Guides on Proper Names and Name Citing, which I would have refered you to is no longer publicly available due to security concerns. When issuing the GC, they typically go by how the name is shown on one's passport, however they made accommodations for people in certain circumstances and this is what we would have been able to see in 9 FAM Appendix F 513 for instance.

On all the forms you submitted to KCC, how did you write the name? Did you include the last letter with the accent or you also omitted it? Of course, if the passport office in your country insist that the letter cannot be included on her passport, I'm afraid there's not much you can do along that line. However, if you've been consistent on all her forms and your 2NL has the name corrected listed, it's good news to start with (and I'm assuming the name is also correctly listed on her birth and marriage certificates). You will need to point this out to the CO at the end of your interview and request to know if the name could be used as listed on her birth and marriage certificate. If she has any other document showing the name with the last letter and the accent, you should also consider taking those to the interview.

On the first application submission I wrote Lizle and the 2nl came back as lizle.
All her documents are lizlé ! Except the passport :(

Even the print out at the passport office show all her infos but the name show like this lizl.
A dot insdead of the é

Are you able to get a new passport that atleast shows the last letter even without the accent? If you can, do try to get it. It's not like the CO will argue that it's not the same person, you however what to do whatever you can to make sure the GC is printed with the exact name you want. Once the GC is issued and you move over, she's going to more or less have to stick with the way the name is written on the GC as all other official documents will be issued based on how the name is shown on the GC. The process of getting a replacement GC from within the US to reflect the name is a rather long and expensive process.

Mom they refused to do it ! They just keep on saying it will be accept it :(
To be honest I don't care if her name stays like that! I'm just scared it will be a reason of denial :(

Well then, if that is your only concern, you need to relax, it is a very small, minor, insignificant, neglibile, tiny, minute, (should I continue :D) detail. It's a no biggie ;), cannot lead to a denial, so breeaatheee *inhale ..... exhale*

Well then, if that is your only concern, you need to relax, it is a very small, minor, insignificant, neglibile, tiny, minute, (should I continue :D) detail. It's a no biggie ;), cannot lead to a denial, so breeaatheee *inhale ..... exhale*
Mom this is your best post ever in my eyes :)
Thank you so much ;)

Greeting to all the good people in this forum!
I am new here. However, I have been following the drama for 4 months now.
My fiancee is a principal applicant chosen in DV2015.
We are thinking of changing her name after marriage. I guess the logical thing to do is to input her married name "as it appears in the travel document" section of ds 260, and then her maiden name - in the "other names used" section. Is it ok that on the main page it still shows her maiden name as the principal applicant's name? Do we need to contact KCC to change it?

I would have probably remained as a silent observer on this forum until later, had not certain respected experts started to think of retiring;).
I really appreciate all the selfless help you provide here!

Last edited:
We are thinking of changing her name after marriage. I guess the logical thing to do is to input her married name "as it appears in the travel document" section of ds 260, and then her maiden name - in the "other names used" section. Is it ok that on the main page it still shows her maiden name as the principal applicant's name? Do we need to contact KCC to change it?

I would have probably remained as a silent observer on this forum until later, had not certain respected experts started to think of retiring;).

Don't do anything based on something you plan to do - only show the changed name if the name change gas actually happened (through marriage I assume). Once married, yes, input her new married name with the maiden name in the other names used section. That won't be a problem at all.

Also, get on with the marriage! Once you have done that, submit your Ds260 and I would also send a copy of the marriage cert by email to KCC (after the 260 has been processed)

What is your CN? When do you plan on getting married? When do you plan on submitting your DS-260?

If you're submitting your form before you guys get married, then the name on the form has to be the maiden name, and you of course cannot be listed as a derivative since the main selectee is still technically 'single'.

If submitting after marriage, list the new marital name under the main name section and the maiden name under the other names section - I'm assuming she will be getting a new passport under the marital name. The interview letter may still show up with the maiden name, not a problem, just ensure you point out to the CO during the interview that her preferred name for the GC should be the marital name.

Don't do anything based on something you plan to do - only show the changed name if the name change gas actually happened (through marriage I assume). Once married, yes, input her new married name with the maiden name in the other names used section. That won't be a problem at all.

Also, get on with the marriage! Once you have done that, submit your Ds260 and I would also send a copy of the marriage cert by email to KCC (after the 260 has been processed)
Thank you for the quick reply!
Sure. I will not do anything based on anticipation - after the fact only. What I learn from this forum is that many people submit their forms, and then stress over something that they inputted, whether it's material or not. Thus, my objective is to clear all the uncertainties about DS 260 before we even start filling it out.
Should I email the certificate in case we change the name? Or even if we don't?

We have been together for 5 years. "..get on with the marriage!" - I always told myself:). I am on it. I asked her parents' permission yesterday to make it official. Which was not easy in the language of the land. As we speak, I am attaching an engagement ring to a toy, the toy will then be put into a claw crane (toy grabbing machine) at the place where we go to movies every Saturday. I took the stuff out of the toy and put balloons inside, so it is lighter now, easy to pull out; and I already conducted a trial run with the store operator. It will look like a regular trip to the movies. Operation "Tookata" (a toy) is a go for tonight!
Thanks again,

Last edited:
Thank you for the quick reply!
Sure. I will not do anything based on anticipation - after the fact only. What I learn from this forum is that many people submit their forms, and then stress over something that they inputted, whether it's material or not. Thus, my objective is to clear all the uncertainties about DS 260 before we even start filling it out.
Should I email the certificate in case we change the name? Or even if we don't?

We have been together for 5 years. "..get on with the marriage!" - I always told myself:). I am on it. I asked her parents' permission yesterday to make it official. Which was not easy in the language of the land. As we speak, I am attaching an engagement ring to a toy, the toy will then be put into a claw crane (toy grabbing machine) at the place where we go to movies every Saturday. I took the stuff out of the toy and put balloons inside, so it is lighter now, easy to pull out; and I already conducted a trial run with the store operator. Operation "Tookata" (a toy) is a go for tonight!
Thanks again,

Whether she changes the name or not, you will need to mail the marriage cert and make sure you both have completed the DS260 forms.

Very romantic - keep photos of the preparation for tonight and the event itself - it is exactly the sort of proof that will convince the CO that your marriage is genuine...

What is your CN? When do you plan on getting married? When do you plan on submitting your DS-260?

If you're submitting your form before you guys get married, then the name on the form has to be the maiden name, and you of course cannot be listed as a derivative since the main selectee is still technically 'single'.

If submitting after marriage, list the new marital name under the main name section and the maiden name under the other names section - I'm assuming she will be getting a new passport under the marital name. The interview letter may still show up with the maiden name, not a problem, just ensure you point out to the CO during the interview that her preferred name for the GC should be the marital name.
I appreciate your swift response. CN AS127XX. As I mentioned in the reply to Britsimon-san above, I am proposing tonight. That is why I tried not to bring up marriage talks with her for a while, so to make the proposal as unanticipated as possible. After tonight we will arrange the wedding date. I realize that we should do it earlier rather than later, and submit the form right after the marriage.
Again, thank you so much!

Whether she changes the name or not, you will need to mail the marriage cert and make sure you both have completed the DS260 forms.

Very romantic - keep photos of the preparation for tonight and the event itself - it is exactly the sort of proof that will convince the CO that your marriage is genuine...
I will keep the photos, we have plenty of others we've taken over the years though. I will Mail a certified copy of a certificate to KCC after the DS 260 has been processed.
Mucho thanks,

I appreciate your swift response. CN AS127XX. As I mentioned in the reply to Britsimon-san above, I am proposing tonight. That is why I tried not to bring up marriage talks with her for a while, so to make the proposal as unanticipated as possible. After tonight we will arrange the wedding date. I realize that we should do it earlier rather than later, and submit the form right after the marriage.
Again, thank you so much!

Congratulations and good luck with the proposal.