Question regarding Middle Name

Middle name is a person's own name. Sometimes it's used for religious purposes. People add their father's name as their middle name and don't officially use it on some of the legal papers. For example, there are people who write their dad's name on school documents, but not on their birth certificate. It's not necessary to include a name that's only on a school certificate.
The OP's middle name was used on credit cards, passport, and driver's license. Not just a school certificate. With that much usage, it should have been listed in the "other names used" section of the N-400.

Besides a middle name cannot be used as a last name.
Yes it can, depending on what country you're from. Ever heard of the basketball player Dikembe Mutombo? Mutombo isn't his last name, it's one of his middle names.

Funny how you say it's a Big deal. but the IO who interviewed me and my brother didn't seem to care at all. Maybe the USCIS in your jurisdiction is one of its kind and can denaturalize or prevent oath individuals for not mentioning their middle names on an application.
Either you and your brother got a lenient IO, or they already included your middle name in the background checks because they saw the middle name elsewhere in your file before the interview.

There have been cases where the interviewer noticed the middle name was omitted, and requested a new name check that included the middle name. Names are material information for background checks, so theoretically one could be denaturalized for omitting a middle name, although it may have never actually happened.

Since you seems to have a good knowledge, whats your advise? What should I do now?

If you want the middle name on your naturalization certificate, make an Infopass appointment, bring your naturalization-related documents with you including the paper you got after the interview. Let them know that you forgot to mention the middle name in part C ("other names used") on page 1 of the N-400, and that you want a name change to put it on your naturalization certificate.

Otherwise, you can do nothing, and hope that they won't notice the discrepancy on their own. Then your natz. certificate won't have the middle name, and if you want the middle name to be on your legal documents like the US passport you'll need to do a name change in the local court system to add in the middle name.

The OP's middle name was used on credit cards, passport, and driver's license. Not just a school certificate. With that much usage, it should have been listed in the "other names used" section of the N-400.

Yes it can, depending on what country you're from. Ever heard of the basketball player Dikembe Mutombo? Mutombo isn't his last name, it's one of his middle names.

Either you and your brother got a lenient IO, or they already included your middle name in the background checks because they saw the middle name elsewhere in your file before the interview.

There have been cases where the interviewer noticed the middle name was omitted, and requested a new name check that included the middle name. Names are material information for background checks, so theoretically one could be denaturalized for omitting a middle name, although it may have never actually happened.

Like I said, it'd be a waste to go beyond this. You had the same conversation with bobsmyth last year and now you won't stop and would rather keep it going. peace dk bose

Thanks jackolantern. Wont it trigger a new background check?

Yes it will. But if they discover it on their own and pull you out of the oath because of it, that's going to trigger a new background check anyway. And if you want your middle name on the naturalization certificate, you'll have to request a name change which would delay your oath anyway. Do you already have an oath date?

speakamericano, did you get your oci or Indian visa or something when your naturalization and Indian passport names didnt match? Let me know, I am kind of hesitant to go that route of reopening the case. But at the same time I going to consult my GC lawyer just to be on the safer side.

Let's say my name is Harpreet Sidhu,
My Indian Birth certificate had Harpreet Sidhu, but my Indian passport had Harpreet Kaur written on it as 90% of the women living in Punjab use Kaur as their last name (Religious Purposes).
When I got my OCI card, there was an obvious name discrepancy with my Indian passport showing my last name as Kaur and all the US paperwork was under the last name of Sidhu as it appeared on my birth certificate. I, too, had Kaur as my middle name on credit cards, school certificates, immunization records. Trust me, jack is over exaggerating.
I didn't mention my middle name on the US paperwork. There was no need to as the US govt has always recognized my name as Harpreet Sidhu not Harpreet Kaur. My NC came with the correct name, got my US passport with the correct name of Harpreet Sidhu. And then I got a form from the USCIS office stating I am infact the same person as Hapreet Kaur and the officer mentioned on the form that the name on the Indian passport is wrong. That was good enough for OCI.

Why would you want to trigger another name search and delay your oath when you don't even have a middle name on your birth certificate. Your naturalization certificate will be issued under whatever name appeared on your green card and on the birth certificate. They can't add a middle name to your naturalization certificate when it's not even present on your birth certificate.

My best advise is get the naturalization certificate and apply for a passport and your OCI will go smoothly. Just fill out the form that you commented on in the OCI section and attach a notarized copy of your birth certificate with it in English.

Opening your case at USCIS will not do any good, but will delay your oath. As I said before, middle name is a person's own name. When they do a background check, they fill in your DOB and First and last name. Any middle name mentioned on credit card and other paperwork will pop out under your DOB.. It seriously is not a big deal.

And then I got a form from the USCIS office stating I am infact the same person as Hapreet Kaur and the officer mentioned on the form that the name on the Indian passport is wrong. That was good enough for OCI.

What form are you talking about and how to get it?

And thanks for your help.

http://forums.immigration.com/showt...I-processing&p=2313524&highlight=#post2313524 look at post # 109 by tensed always. it shows a pdf link to a name discrepancy form. The form is provided by Travisa, the form that I received from USCIS is called G-24, certification of documents. If you dig through some of the old posts in OCI, you will find a link to it. But now that Travisa has created their own name change/correction form, you don't need to get G-24.. Just download the PDF file and attach a note explaining your name difference. Attach a notarized Birth certificate copy too that shows you don't have a middle name. everything should go smooth from there.

Why would you want to trigger another name search and delay your oath when you don't even have a middle name on your birth certificate. Your naturalization certificate will be issued under whatever name appeared on your green card and on the birth certificate. They can't add a middle name to your naturalization certificate when it's not even present on your birth certificate.

Why are you writing as if you aren't aware that name change is offered as part of the naturalization process. They can put a new name onto the naturalization certificate if you request a name change and go through a judicial oath.

I am thru with Oath and got the NC now with obviously no middle name in it. I happen to read an article regarding SSN sending letters on no match found, although I didnt get it anytime, but my worries have now compounded. I am now really worried that I have unknowingly done a fraud by just not putting a middle name, again freaking me out. What is going to happen, I will have renounced my Indian citizenship and what if I get denaturalized, I will be a stateless person. So stupid, why the hell I did it. Stupid question I have is, which I apply for US passport can I put in my middle name, its not there on Naturalization Certificate, will they accept it? Will it be more fraud if I put it on Passport but on NC? Help guys. This forum amazing, you get answers for all your questions. Anyone more in my situation? Are they still living well?

I am thru with Oath and got the NC now with obviously no middle name in it. I happen to read an article regarding SSN sending letters on no match found, although I didnt get it anytime, but my worries have now compounded. I am now really worried that I have unknowingly done a fraud by just not putting a middle name, again freaking me out. What is going to happen, I will have renounced my Indian citizenship and what if I get denaturalized, I will be a stateless person. So stupid, why the hell I did it. Stupid question I have is, which I apply for US passport can I put in my middle name, its not there on Naturalization Certificate, will they accept it? Will it be more fraud if I put it on Passport but on NC? Help guys. This forum amazing, you get answers for all your questions. Anyone more in my situation? Are they still living well?

First, stop panicking and calm down: you have not committed any fraud and nobody is going to de-naturalize you.

If you have your middle name listed in your current Indian passport, U.S. driver's license, social security card and other U.S. documents, you should be able to get a U.S. passport that includes the middle name - at least it is worth trying to do that. The State Department is reasonably relaxed about the middle name usage. My suggestion is that you submit a U.S. passport application including your middle name; give then your naturalization certificate as proof of U.S. citizenship and show other documents such as driver's license, social security card etc that include the middle name. I doubt that you'll have trouble getting a U.S. passport including your middle name. Assuming that works, at some point later, if you really want to, you could do a formal legal name change through a state court adding the middle name, and after that request an amended naturalization certificate including the middle name by filing N-565.

Hi,

I dropped my middle name at the time of naturalization. Looks like Dropping middle name is not changing legally anything just it will not appear in naturalization certificate. So my US passport has only FirstName and LastName where else my Indian passport has My FirstName Middlename and lastname. When I apply for OCI if names in both passports are different we need to provide court order. But I didn't receive any court order when I received naturalization certificate. If anyone in my situation could you please help me with your experience with CKGS.