Question on RFE

mballav

Registered Users (C)
Hello Everyone:

I received an RFE asking for a certificate indicating that our marriage has not been registered. This is because we do not have a marriage certificate and instead we had submitted affidavits from our parents along with the I-485.

The question I have is: Since a marriage held in one place in India can be registered anywhere in India, does the non-availability have to be obtained from the marriage registrar office that has jurisdiction over the place of marriage?

I have always received a response in this forum. Thanks to everyone who takes time to respond.

Regards,

Manish

your question..

It is prefered that you get the marriage certificate from the registrar at the place of marriage. However, it is not required. So long as any registrar issues the certificate and have proper records in the books, you are good. The stamp on the cert will mention the book and record number and the place the marriage has been registered. A properly registered marriage certificate (issued anywhere in the country you got married) is as valid as the certificate from the city/place of marriage.

Although I have a marriage cert from the place of marriage, I know that the other case is also equally valid.

I need the non-availability certificate

tiklebit:

Sorry if I was not clear. What I need is a non-availabilty certificate that shows that my marriage was not registered. The question I have is: does that certificate have to be from the registrar office that has jurisdiction over the place of marriage?

Regards,

Manish

Manish,

In that case, yes. It has to be from the place that has jurisdiction over the place - just like a birth cert.

Hope that helps (or not!) :p

I hope this helps:

The Hindu and Muslim communities do not usually register marriages, however, marriages by Hindus, Buddhists, Jains or Sikhs may be voluntarily registered under the Hindu Marriage Act of l955. This Act does not apply to Muslims, Parsis, Jews or Christians, who may register their marriages under the Special Marriage Act of l954, or the Christian Marriage Act. Marriage certificates for marriages registered under these Acts may be obtained from the offices of Government Registrar of Marriages, which are located in the headquarters of each district. The certificate will be issued by the Registrar only if the bride and groom personally appear before the official and pay the required fee.

A certificate of marriage between Muslims is usually issued by the priest who performed the ceremony. The document is in the Urdu language, and a certified translation is required. Marriages between Christians are usually obtainable from Church records. If the marriage has not been officially registered, then two sworn affidavits giving the names, dates and places of birth of the bride and groom, and the date and place of marriage, as well as the names of the parents of both parties are acceptable. The affidavits must be executed by one of the parents of each party, or if the parents are deceased, by the nearest relative of each party who was present at the wedding.
Note: A document termed as "Marriage Agreement" or "Deed of Marriage" to live as man and wife (under the Registration Act of l908) is not confirmation of a marriage solemnized legally under the Indian Marriage Acts now in force. Such a document does not confer upon the contracting parties’ legal marital status under the law.

Regarding Marriage Certificate

Hi Codex

Thanks for the information you have provided regarding the marriage certificate. I have obtained a marriage certificate from Indian Consulate, SFO, but INS has raised a query stating as follows:

"A copy of the civilly registered marriage certificate to establish what dated your legally married. The certificate must indicate the marriage was registered or recorded with the county, state, or country's civil authorities. Provide the foreign language document, along with an English translation. [The certificate you submitted does not show evidence of being registered or recorded.]"

I am planning to do two things

1. I should get a Affidavit from both the parents as you have mentioned

Or

2. Use TTK Services (www.yourmaninindia.com) to get the marriage certificate

Can you please advise me on this subject?

I appreciate your help.

Thanks

ponnuswamys said:
Hi Codex

Thanks for the information you have provided regarding the marriage certificate. I have obtained a marriage certificate from Indian Consulate, SFO, but INS has raised a query stating as follows:

"A copy of the civilly registered marriage certificate to establish what dated your legally married. The certificate must indicate the marriage was registered or recorded with the county, state, or country's civil authorities. Provide the foreign language document, along with an English translation. [The certificate you submitted does not show evidence of being registered or recorded.]"

I am planning to do two things

1. I should get a Affidavit from both the parents as you have mentioned

Or

2. Use TTK Services (www.yourmaninindia.com) to get the marriage certificate

Can you please advise me on this subject?

I appreciate your help.

Thanks
Marriage and Birth Certificates from consulate are generally not acceptable. No wonder INS has raised questions. Affidavits are helpful.

i was going through indian consulte website for renewal of my passport and i saw a link there Registeration of marriage $55. Might be now they are starting to register the marriages with certificates . You might wanna check on that.

ghost-rider said:
i was going through indian consulte website for renewal of my passport and i saw a link there Registeration of marriage $55. Might be now they are starting to register the marriages with certificates . You might wanna check on that.

If one has marriage certificate, there is no need to register again at consulate. For consulate it is money making method.