Question on re-entering without I-131

Justinc87

Hello All,

I have a quick question, my wife came here on her visa and had to leave on emergency back to Russia because her grandmothers health was failing and they thought she was about to pass away. She's been there taking care of her for about a year and has made her final goodbyes and so on.
We received her green card in the mail about a month after she left, so she has that. It was our understanding that she could come and go as she wanted once the green card came, but now that she's ready to come back I am reading about this I-131.
Do we need to do this since she has her green card? Or does that only apply to those who are in the filing process or are on a visa?
If we do need to do it, is there any extra steps we need to take since we didn't do it prior to her departure?

I plan to call the USCIS if I can't get a clear answer. Just wondering if anyone on here knows! I'd appreciate anyone who has info/experience with this!

Hello All,

I have a quick question, my wife came here on her visa and had to leave on emergency back to Russia because her grandmothers health was failing and they thought she was about to pass away. She's been there taking care of her for about a year and has made her final goodbyes and so on.
We received her green card in the mail about a month after she left, so she has that. It was our understanding that she could come and go as she wanted once the green card came, but now that she's ready to come back I am reading about this I-131.
Do we need to do this since she has her green card? Or does that only apply to those who are in the filing process or are on a visa?
If we do need to do it, is there any extra steps we need to take since we didn't do it prior to her departure?

I plan to call the USCIS if I can't get a clear answer. Just wondering if anyone on here knows! I'd appreciate anyone who has info/experience with this!

Your wife had to apply for the reentry permit while been in the U.S. as a Permanent Resident. If she is outside of the U.S. for over a year as a resident, then she can apply to an SB-1 visa and chances of getting approved are very low or return to the U.S. and try luck with the CBP officer, in case they don't allow her entry, then she will be placed in removal proceedings an she will have to expose her case to an immigration judge. He/She will be deciding her future in terms of her status.

Hello All,

I-131 is a form to apply for 3 different kinds of travel documents. I think you mean Advance Parole.

So did she apply for Adjustment of Status in the US? What status was she on before she applied? If she didn't have H or L status and didn't have Advance Parole approved when she left the US, and her Adjustment of Status was still pending at the time she left (i.e. it is before the resident since date on her green card which is when her Adjustment of Status got approved), she automatically abandoned her Adjustment of Status, and the approval and green card are in error.