• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Question on name issue

islandgirl

Registered Users (C)
Hi all:

I thought the names submitted on the forms to KCC had to match the names on one's birth certificate. Now I am seeing posts that seem to suggest that the names must match that on one's passport.

My husband and I already submitted our forms to KCC (he is the principal winner) but in my case say, for example, my name on the birth certificate says Mary Jane Lisa Doe, on the passport it just says Mary Jane Doe. On the forms submitted to KCC I put the names as it appears on the birth certificate. Now I am wondering what would have been the correct thing to do :confused:

Can anyone advise? Thank a lot.

We always assume that the names on the passport and the name on the birth certificate are the same. Principally they must match, but in your case you did correct writing your names on the forms as they appear on the birth certificate. The birth certificate always must be reference if the names differ by the national documents such as passport, driving license.

BTW, in the future possibly you will be told to change your passport with the names as they appear on your birth certificate. Because GC will be issued with the names on your forms already sent to KCC.

Hi all:

I thought the names submitted on the forms to KCC had to match the names on one's birth certificate. Now I am seeing posts that seem to suggest that the names must match that on one's passport.

My husband and I already submitted our forms to KCC (he is the principal winner) but in my case say, for example, my name on the birth certificate says Mary Jane Lisa Doe, on the passport it just says Mary Jane Doe. On the forms submitted to KCC I put the names as it appears on the birth certificate. Now I am wondering what would have been the correct thing to do :confused:

Can anyone advise? Thank a lot.

a married name in a passport will most likely be different from a maiden name in a birth certificate.

There is always an issue with alphabets that are non-Latin, since transliteration of names could be quite different from office to office, country to country, etc.

Hi LucyMO,

I am spouse under my wife's DV case. I am from Taiwan and my first name is composed with two words. On my passport, these two words are connected with an hyphen; but on my visa, there is no hyphen, just a space in between two words. I don't recall what my wife put my name on the AV lottery entry form last year. I heard somewhere that US gov don't use hyphen for Chinese first name, they just use space. I am wondering how I should put on the I-230?

a married name in a passport will most likely be different from a maiden name in a birth certificate.

There is always an issue with alphabets that are non-Latin, since transliteration of names could be quite different from office to office, country to country, etc.

Actually LucyMo the problem is not with the surname, it is with the other names. Apart from my last name I have my first name and two middle names on my birth certificate but the passport only has the first two names and the surname, omitting one of the middle names. This is what I was puzzled about.