Question on Conditional Residence

mrindian

Registered Users (C)
I got married to US citizen in Nov 99 when I was on H1. I applied through my spouse and got GC in Jan 2002. Even though I got it 2 years marraige INS had put CR6(conditional residence) on GC, with expiry date of Jan 2004. As required I filed form for removal of conditions along with filing fees and supporting docs send it to Nebraska Center. However They returned it back mentioning that I was incorrectly classified as CR and that I have to visit the local INS center to review my application. I went there(Detriot) 2 weeks back and they said they have to retrieve my information to make a determination. They refused to take any document from me saying they need the information from the original filing with INS. I got my original GC from New York. So I assume they will request the info from NY, INS office. They asked me to come back in 4-6 weeks. Is there anything I can do to speed it up? secondly is this type of enquiry routine? Will I be subject to deportation if I dont get my permenent GC by Jan 2004?

FYI:
Went to INS 2 days back. Got a new I-551 stamp with expiry date of dec 2004.They took the old GC. Filled form I-90(replacment of GC). Filing fee was exempt. Was told I should get the GC in 1 year. If I dont then have to come back to the INS office.

I'm waiting for my wife's removal of conditions to go through also. We put it in on March of 2003 and the year's almost up so we'll probably have to go to the 'migra' and renew the extension (uuughhh!).

Do you know if we can apply for naturalization if the 3 years has elapsed after receiving the conditional GC?