Question on applying US Passport/N-600

essp

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

We would like to apply for the US Passport for our child through the US Parent Naturalized category (one of the parents is a naturalized US citizen and the child is 15 years old). We completed all the paperwork and showed up at the post office to apply for the US passport as child's 10 year validity on the Green Card is going to expire in 2 months. The Postal Clerk said that we have to send the child's physical green card along with the US passport application. And, that the passport office won't return the green card after they issue the US passport. When we asked how could we then apply for N-600 to get the naturalization certificate, he said that won't be possible once we apply the US passport. Can you please let me know the process to get the US Passport and N-600? Is it necessary to have N-600 or US passport is sufficient? Should we apply for N-600 first before applying for the US Passport? How long typically it takes to get the naturalization certificate through N-600? Do we have to physically go to the USCIS office for interview (like N-400) or they send it directly by post?

TIA,
Makhan

Hi,

Some answers:
In most cases I know the passport office returns the green card. Things might have changed though.
For N-600 it is enough to send a photocopy of the Green Card, so make sure you make photocopies and better yet scans to pdf of both sides of the green card.
You can apply for both the passport and the N-600 at the same time, as for the N-600 you just need to submit photocopy of naturalization certificate and green card.
I think it typically takes around 5 to 6 months to process N-600. There will probably be an appointment to go to the local USCIS office. I wouldn't call it an interview, and there will likely be a symbolic oath taken.
I would recommend applying for N-600, as it will be easier to deal with it now than if you try in a few years and have trouble finding documents.
I would also recommend applying for both the passport book and the passport card. Each one can be used to apply to renew the other document if it gets lost. The passport card is also a highly portable proof of US citizenship.
Anyway, when it comes to order of things as I said you can apply in any order you want or together. Just make sure to make photocopies of the green card and also of your naturalization certificate so you can send those with the N-600 application.

Hi,

We would like to apply for the US Passport for our child through the US Parent Naturalized category (one of the parents is a naturalized US citizen and the child is 15 years old). We completed all the paperwork and showed up at the post office to apply for the US passport as child's 10 year validity on the Green Card is going to expire in 2 months. The Postal Clerk said that we have to send the child's physical green card along with the US passport application. And, that the passport office won't return the green card after they issue the US passport. When we asked how could we then apply for N-600 to get the naturalization certificate, he said that won't be possible once we apply the US passport. Can you please let me know the process to get the US Passport and N-600? Is it necessary to have N-600 or US passport is sufficient? Should we apply for N-600 first before applying for the US Passport? How long typically it takes to get the naturalization certificate through N-600? Do we have to physically go to the USCIS office for interview (like N-400) or they send it directly by post?

TIA,
Makhan

It is true that the Child would need to send in the Parent's Naturalization Certificate and his/her own Green card to get a US Passport/card, and need to apply in person for the first time a US passport is requested. (The parents and Child's passport application can be submitted together,and the evidence of the parents Nat. Certificate and the Child's GC, will be used to process the request.)

The State Department WILL return all orginal documents back to you couple of days later as multiple pieces of mail, after the Passport has been delivered back to you . They will not keep the GC or any of your originals.

Since the US passport will/can be processed in 3 weeks or less going with the US passport is quicker and recommended as the first step. This Passport can be used to update the Immigration records at the school for your son.

Once the child get the US passport and GC back apply for N600 at your local USCIS office. A copy of GC and his new passport PLUS parents NC will server as evidence along with the application. The Processing may take upto 5 months (I applied and got N600 for my child in 3 months, but it may vary from office to office), and you'll be notified to schedule an infopass to that office, bring your son and his original GC. They may administer a quick administrative oath, and then collect the GC , ask your son to sign the Certifcate of Citizenship and then collect the same. The process at the USCIS office should not take much time (30min max, once your turn comes up). You will need to go there personally along with your son to take oath/collect the Certificate.

One concern : I see that the child's GC expires in 2 month's time, so quite likley you may be forced to get that renewed as well before you go in for the N600 processing. I'm not sure on this aspect, but recollect someone having to go thru a similar path to get a valid GC ( as was expiring soon) before they could process the N600. Hopefully some of the seasoned participants will comment on this ...

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't renew the Green Card, waste of money and even potentially "illegal" as your daughter is already a citizen. Just go to the interview with the expired GC. I don't see any problem. However, try to apply for the passport before it expires to avoid any confusion in the passport office. It shouldn't be an issue, but just in case. Thanks to SHJ about his other comments. Perhaps what he read was about N-400 in case of lost GC?

Now thinking again about it the GC renewal (child) would be a moot point , if a US passport (child's) has been successfully accquired. That same US passport and Parents NC copies would be sufficient to petition for the Child's Certificate of Citizenship with USCIS, even if the child's GC is expired.

( I do recollect reading about this situation where a parent needed to apply for his son's N600 and the child's GC was nearing its expiration. They were tackling N600 request before getting an US passport, and maybe why they had to pursue GC renewal for the child, so when the application of N600 landed on the desk of an IO the GC was still valid, and would not negatively affect the outcome of the pending N600. It was in this context that I suggested this be checked out . Thanks Huran for sharing your post on this subject line.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear members.,

Please advise and clear me as following questions about N-600 , OCI , and PIO.

1) We (myself and wife) got Naturalization Certificates on 10/17/2011 @ Newark.
2) Applied passports with card for all 4 members (parents + 17 years kid + 12 years kid) through postoffice.
They took original GC of kids, said we would not get back kid's gcs.
3) Please give the procedure and documents needed for N-600 form, how much time it will take , and easy tips.
4) Is needed N-600 approval for OCI or PIO processes.
5) If you any procedure for OCI or PIO please share.

In this case , I would greatly appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance.

-usinsuser99

Hi,

TIA,
Makhan

Hi All:
My spouse became US citizen and I have few Questions about filing N 600/Passport for my 15 year old child. Thanks in advance experts.
1.I see most folks apply for passport first and then the N600. What's the reason behind it? In this case do we need to attach copy of kids US passport with n 600 application?
2.Most of the time DoS keeps original green card for kids to issue US passport. Then during N 600,Would USCIS issue certificate without taking back original green card? Has anyone received Naturalization certificate for kids without giving back green card?

3.Also, whats the advantage of filing for mothers and childs passport together with mothers naturalization cert? Can mother have her US passport and then after she receives hers, apply for kids passport later?

Hi :
could you please tell me if they asked yuo for your kids original green card before issuing CoC? If someone doesnt have kids original GC because DoS kept it while issuing US Passport, would uscis issue CoC?