1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about Expedite process for I-30 for my husband.

Discussion in 'Family Based Green Card -Through Marriage/Relative' started by argentinaoregon, Jun 28, 2010.

  1. argentinaoregon

    argentinaoregon Registered Users (C)

    I am a US Citizen and married my husband from Argentina and sent our papers to the correct office with an expedite request. I am 15 weeks pregnant and our request is due to our need to fly from Argentina to the States within a certian time frame and because I wish to find proper medical care and a doctor in the states and have our baby there. I could fly without him, but we have decided to stay together through this process. We provided docotors notes and letters and evidence. Our papers should arrive at the office any day now. Any idea how long it might take? Also we are in Argentina, so when we are contacted the papers will be sent to my permanent address, but I need them to reach me at my husbands permanant addess. Is there a way to contact the embassy to have our papers sent, or is it best to just have my Mother mail them?
  2. Larry572

    Larry572 Registered Users (C)

    You are already a US citizen. I am sure you wont have problems finding a good doctor in the US. The question is: How is that related to an expedited greencard for your husband?

    A greencard adjudication is expedited only if there is an emergency or urgency. I dont think the consulate will expedite their process just so your husband can be with you while you give birth.
  3. argentinaoregon

    argentinaoregon Registered Users (C)

    I have applied for the I-130 and we asked that our papers be expedited for the visa. I know I can find a good doctor, I want to have the baby with my husband present and we want to have the baby in the States. I would think that we would have a pretty good reason for the expedite to be approved for his visa. Is that not the case?
  4. Jackolantern

    Jackolantern Registered Users (C)

    They won't expedite yours. There are couples where the situation is reversed -- USC husband, with the pregnant wife outside the US in some poor country with substandard hospital facilities, and they can't theirs expedited.

    You need something much more unusual than wanting your husband to be in the US to see you give birth. Like he needs an urgent organ transplant that can only be done in the US because the donor and surgeon are in the US.

    But the good news is that with 25 weeks left, there is a reasonable chance of having the process completed before your due date, even without expediting. So start gathering all the documents he will need for the consular interview ... birth certificate, police clearance certificate, etc. so there won't be any delay with getting those things when the interview date approaches.

    And if you decide to give birth in Argentina, report the birth promptly to the US consulate so establishing the baby's US citizenship and passport will be smoother.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2010
  5. argentinaoregon

    argentinaoregon Registered Users (C)

    Thank you so much for your information and advice. I really appreciate your help. We just have to wait to be notified. I do have, one more question about being notified by mail. On the form I put my Parent's address as my permanent address and my husband used his Mother's here in Argentina. I assume they will send the paperwork to my Parent's in Oregon. Would it be better to send a change of address to have our papers sent back to us and the approval information here in Argentina. We will be doing the interview here, so it may just delay everything more to have things sent to my Mother's then sent to Argentina. The mail system here is slow at times.
  6. Jackolantern

    Jackolantern Registered Users (C)

    As the US citizen sponsor, you need to maintain a US address for your part of the process. So leave your US address as is, and then have your mother send stuff to you or read letters to you on the phone as necessary. Don't worry, there probably will only be one time where she has to physically send any papers to you. From this point, the bulk of the paperwork will be between your husband and the consulate in Argentina.

    Don't let your mother use regular mail to send papers to Argentina. Like you said, it is slow, and official documents sent through international mail have mysterious ways of disappearing in transit. Whatever your mother sends should be via private courier like Fedex or DHL.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2010
  7. argentinaoregon

    argentinaoregon Registered Users (C)

    I also have been living abroad in another country for the last 4 years and have not worked or filed my taxes in the last two years. I cannot financially support my husband and so it looks as though our only option is to get a sponsor. Is there any way around this? Also, since i have not filed taxes in two years, I was not working and as stupid as this sounds, just didn't get around to it.. well how will this effect me and what can I do. This is the information that I found and was not aware of until just now.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2010
  8. argentinaoregon

    argentinaoregon Registered Users (C)

    thanks, now the above message is another set of problems. any help?
  9. Jackolantern

    Jackolantern Registered Users (C)

    You are still the sponsor, but you'll need to get a co-sponsor to meet the financial requirements. You will fill out form I-864 (even though you'll write a bunch of zeroes there), and the co-sponsor will fill out form I-864A.

    Don't worry about the taxes, if you weren't working and had no income you don't need to file, and you won't be using your (lack of) income to show financial support, so you don't need to provide tax returns (but the co-sponsor will).
  10. argentinaoregon

    argentinaoregon Registered Users (C)

    Thank you. At times, all of details can seem overwhelming and so I really appreciate your information and help.
  11. VisaNutz

    VisaNutz Registered Users (C)

    Hey OP - take it as a light humor, is it really the right time to not be in Argentina? Ask your husband, he may not want to leave Argentina right now - with Argentina being on the verge of winning the world cup under Maradona, I wouldn't want to miss out on all the national fun and celebrations!!! God I love Argentina and Maradona - even though I am not an Argentine!!

    And this could be the real test of love for your husband - does he come with you to witness the birth of his child - or does he stay in Argentina to celebrate world cup with Maradona - ohhh!! a TOUGH ONE!! :D:D
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2010
  12. Al Southner

    Al Southner Registered Users (C)

    Ms. Argentina,

    You hubby can stay back in Buenos Aires and watch the birth of your child via Skype....lol!! He could be celebrating the World Cup win drinking a vodka and still watch the birth... Highly unlikely that US Consulate will expedite his visa request.
  13. argentinaoregon

    argentinaoregon Registered Users (C)

    Thanks for the big laughs!!!! He will be religiously watching Argentina get closer and closer to victory and since I most likely won't get the expedite, he wil have the opportunity to take the glory in witin his country!

Share This Page