Question about Birth certificate for asylum based green card

Fin

Registered Users (C)
Hi folks,

My asylum was granted by the IJ 5 months ago and now I'm prepping up for my GC. I thought its better to get a head start in advance than rush when the time come. I read that a birth certificate is required with I-485. But is that also the case for asylees? My family had to run away from our house with hardly any belongings due to issues they had. I had a visa so I came here. They can't get my birth certificate or non-availability certificate since they are hiding. I think mine might not be a unique case...many asylees have this issue. Does the USCIS have exceptions about this? Any experiences applying for GC without BC?

That's why you should hire a laywer! In those cases, your lawyer can use a different document. AND YES, YOU DO NEED YOUR BIRTH CERTIFICATE.

I used my native passport copies as a birth certificate as I also did not have a birth certificate.

I used my native passport copies as a birth certificate as I also did not have a birth certificate.

Did you get RFE? If not, I have my passport (although expired). I can use it. The funny thing is that USCIS website doesn't mention the Birth certificate requirement but the I-485 instructions do. Then again, the instructions are quite generic for all type of applications and not just asylum-based. I'm just wondering, how has been people's experience of applying without BC. Do they get RFE or not? I'm quite sure my folks would not be able to go to government office and get the BC or non-availability of BC certificate. Honestly I'm not even sure if my birth certificate exists.

Im so sorry, I dont wanna be mean, BUT if you read the USCIS website, it does say "Birth Certificate translated"

Did you get RFE? If not, I have my passport (although expired). I can use it. The funny thing is that USCIS website doesn't mention the Birth certificate requirement but the I-485 instructions do. Then again, the instructions are quite generic for all type of applications and not just asylum-based. I'm just wondering, how has been people's experience of applying without BC. Do they get RFE or not? I'm quite sure my folks would not be able to go to government office and get the BC or non-availability of BC certificate. Honestly I'm not even sure if my birth certificate exists.

I don't exactly remember which application it was but I used my native passport which was expired by the way as a proof of birth certificate. I never got any RFE for birth certificate.

Dear Gandrud: You have the link for GC thru informant. Check the asylee link. I tried to post the link but it says the post has to be approved.

Okay, just an update. I talked to my attorney (who worked with me on my asylum case) and he told me that technically Birth Certificates are not required docs for Refugee or asylee adjustments. The USCIS Asylee and Refugee GC pages on their websites don't show BC either. However, he did mention that the adjudicating officer may not be aware of this and may issue an RFE. Obviously he suggested to me that he would help with my GC, but since its a straight forward process for me and to save money, I would like to apply for my own GC like many on this forum. If any one else has any other suggestions or experiences, please share with me. Thanks

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=af2b3a4107083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=af2b3a4107083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

Hi fin, check my link above from USCIS website. IT DOES SHOW BIRTH CERTIFICATE

Okay, just an update. I talked to my attorney (who worked with me on my asylum case) and he told me that technically Birth Certificates are not required docs for Refugee or asylee adjustments. The USCIS Asylee and Refugee GC pages on their websites don't show BC either. However, he did mention that the adjudicating officer may not be aware of this and may issue an RFE. Obviously he suggested to me that he would help with my GC, but since its a straight forward process for me and to save money, I would like to apply for my own GC like many on this forum. If any one else has any other suggestions or experiences, please share with me. Thanks

Its been a long time but I somehow landed on this forum while researching something. I remembered this thread and just wanted to post a reply here so that it may help others. I applied for my GC WITHOUT a birth certificate and never got an RFE. I got a call for an interview and felt it might be because of the birth certificate. However it turns out that it was a routine interview where the officer just asked me yes/no questions and I was out of there in less than 5 mins with on the spot approval. I was never asked for my birth certificate. He did ask me for my passport and I told him I don't have it but I have an RTD. He was like okay let me see it. Absolutely NO questions about why I lack any documents or even a casual question about why I don't have a passport.

Just for info of other asylees applying for GC, many documentation requirements are waived for asylees. So don't worry if you don't have stuff. My lawyer had confirmed the same and if you read the USCIS manual it says the same. Here is the link: http://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume7-PartM-Chapter4.html

All in all I got my GC in 5 months even though I didn't have BOTH my passport or my birth certificate. Only small hiccup was they called me in for an interview which was just a casual 2 minute routine. No questions were asked about COP. The term "asylum" or "asylee" wasn't even mentioned once during the 3-4 mins I was there. Just name, address, birth date and the arrest/drugs type questions. This was 1 year ago!! Good luck to all!

Last edited: