question about absence during i-485 pending

kaoticfury

Registered Users (C)
just wonder if asylees are required to stay in the US for at least 6 months per year during his/her i-485 pending?

i am asking because i frequently go to canada to see my gf, and if i just go there on weekend, i may be absent for almost 6 months for a year (NOT CONTINOUSLY)...so...i am just worrying how it affect my GC process
thx for any advice!!!

Originally posted by Gilbert
such extensive absences from the US are really not recommended.

thanks for your advice.
i have to take care of her, thats why i go there weekly
hum, i am still wondering if there are any regulations that require us to stay at least 6 months while waiting the GC
i dont know what to do now..

thank u

There are no specific rules saying that you have to stay in the US for x amount of time. The law only requires a minimum presence of one year before you apply for adjustment. But the law does require that before approving adjustment, the BCIS must be satisfied that you have not "firmly settled" in another country. Going to the same country on a weekly basis does raise the suspicion that you have something going on in Canada such that you no longer merit asylum here, let alone adjustment. Bear in mind that even a permanent resident cannot travel excessively without inviting BCIS attention.