Q: Revoking Citizenship

harry2005

Registered Users (C)
Once citizenship is granted, under what circumstances is it revoked? I get the feeling that even after naturalization one would always be under watch. If there is crime involved, why don't they just prosecute the person under the laws of the land rather than threatening deportation. If the country of origin doesn't allow dual citizenship, what happens when US revokes citizenship, what are your options?

It looks like the citizenship is being revoked not for his views supporting terrorism, but because he hid his membership in organizations supporting terrorism during his naturalization application. In other words, he got his citizenship based on a falsehood - hence his deportation. And that holds true for anyone trying to naturalize.

Hope this helps.

-chatrathi

harry2005 said:
Once citizenship is granted, under what circumstances is it revoked? I get the feeling that even after naturalization one would always be under watch. If there is crime involved, why don't they just prosecute the person under the laws of the land rather than threatening deportation. If the country of origin doesn't allow dual citizenship, what happens when US revokes citizenship, what are your options?
Yes, naturalized citizenship can be revoked, but the govt. has to prove that you were not eligible for citizenship when you applied for naturalization. The standard method for doing this is like -- Person A applied for natz. in 2003 became citizen in 2004. Person A convicted for some offense in 2005. Govt. looks at case and claims Person A had bad moral character in 2003. Govt. wins case in court, Person A stripped of citizenship and deported.As the procedure described above is complicated it is pursued only for grevious offenses.
-- Deportation is cost effective compared to imprisonment. Also its an effective stick to scare immigrants who try to break the law. That is why they threaten deportation.
-- If the contry of origin does not allow dual citzenship, then the US govt. talks to the country of origin and asks them to accept the prisoner.

hipka said:
Yes, naturalized citizenship can be revoked, but the govt. has to prove that you were not eligible for citizenship when you applied for naturalization. The standard method for doing this is like -- Person A applied for natz. in 2003 became citizen in 2004. Person A convicted for some offense in 2005. Govt. looks at case and claims Person A had bad moral character in 2003. Govt. wins case in court, Person A stripped of citizenship and deported.As the procedure described above is complicated it is pursued only for grevious offenses.
-- Deportation is cost effective compared to imprisonment. Also its an effective stick to scare immigrants who try to break the law. That is why they threaten deportation.
-- If the contry of origin does not allow dual citzenship, then the US govt. talks to the country of origin and asks them to accept the prisoner.

Thanks all for the replies.

It looks like thats the reason they have the question 10.D.15 on N-400 (committed a crime/offense for which you were NOT arrested) so that they can get back at you if you are not behaving yourself. Like someone said, even a song download would make you ineligible. I sure hope they use this with some discretion (like matter of national security). If they expect me to bear arms to defend this country and call her my mother country, I would have some expectations too, to accept me no matter what, like a mother. If a local judge can strip you off your citizenship, leaving you in no man's land, that doesn't exact much loyalty from a naturalized citizen in my opinion.

With interview on the horizon, I'm beginning to have second thoughts about this whole change of allegiance procedure. I want that oath to mean something. Imagine the predicament the country of origin would be in if they are asked to take a person who is convicted. I'm sure many here go through this dilemma when applying for citizenship.

Having said that, I have a couple of questions:
- what are the implications on my GC if I take N-400 back?
- would I be able to reapply for citizenship in the future?

Thanks again for the feedback.

I really think that they can only revok your citizenship if and only if you hid facts from them. But if you committed a crime after you are naturalized they will not revoke it. You will be treated according to the law and it have no implication on you naturlization.

zzerous said:
I really think that they can only revok your citizenship if and only if you hid facts from them. But if you committed a crime after you are naturalized they will not revoke it. You will be treated according to the law and it have no implication on you naturlization.
Technically you are correct, but if I commit a crime 1 day after I am naturalized who'll believe that I had good moral character all along till I applied for natz. and changed over suddenly. This type of backward interpretation although difficult to prove is always a possibility. In fact each time a natz. citizen commits a crime the govt. is fully licensed to ask USCIS if the natz. application was valid.

hipka said:
Technically you are correct, but if I commit a crime 1 day after I am naturalized who'll believe that I had good moral character all along .
Try to control yourself for at least one day...

harry2005 said:

It looks like thats the reason they have the question 10.D.15 on N-400 (committed a crime/offense for which you were NOT arrested) so that they can get back at you if you are not behaving yourself. Like someone said, even a song download would make you ineligible. I sure hope they use this with some discretion (like matter of national security). If they expect me to bear arms to defend this country and call her my mother country, I would have some expectations too, to accept me no matter what, like a mother. If a local judge can strip you off your citizenship, leaving you in no man's land, that doesn't exact much loyalty from a naturalized citizen in my opinion.

With interview on the horizon, I'm beginning to have second thoughts about this whole change of allegiance procedure. I want that oath to mean something. Imagine the predicament the country of origin would be in if they are asked to take a person who is convicted. I'm sure many here go through this dilemma when applying for citizenship.

No point getting emotional here. Most countries have this rule for natz. citizens. Also its not a simple matter to strip you of citizenship as diplomatic missions need to be involved. Regarding the change of allegiance -- it does not prohibit you from becoming a dual citizen if your country of origin allows it. So thats like a privilege given to natz. citizens.
-- Yes it is painful to change your allegiance from one country to the other. (Thats the reason Indians abroad are pressing for dual citizenship from india )
-- Why do you want to withdraw N-400 ? It does not make sense to do so only for emotional reasons. I think you would be able to reapply if you withdrew.

harry2005 said:

It seems that it is the purpose of this question. You may chose to answer Yes even if you have not done anything you think may be considered as crime of offense. At the time of the interview, they will probably ask you to provide more details. Invoke the fifth amendment. If they refuse to grant you citizenship based on that, get a lawyer and challenge it in court.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would not worry much about this. If you were truthful during the application process and were accepted as citizen legally, there is nothing to worry about.

If later in your life when you become US citizen, let's say, you start taking drugs, you will go to jail, but will not be stripped of citizenship for that.

"Bad character" can not be regressed. In other words, if you had "good moral character" when you recieved your citizenship, (un)fortunatelly your behavior afterwards does not matter. Think about it....How logical is that someone who was 10-30 years "normal citizen", all of sudden, become changed after getting US citizenship and starts commiting all sorts of crimes??

BTW, as a legal resident, you can be deported for things like lying to IO, cirmes involving moral turpitude, drugs, etc. Why is that any "safer" for your status than citizenship?

Bottom line, If you seriously belive that US is outthere to get you, then you should not become US citizen or live in US.

If someone is a proven terrorist (in court of law), I think that it is right of our government to do all it can to make sure that this guy is stripped of his citizenship based on the solid legal case (if such exists - lying about being a member of shady organizations on N-400 is good reason), and that is a right thing to do.

And you know, if you become serial killer, I would like also that our government finds any possible LEGAL way to strip you out of your status and return you to where you belong. In that case, if after 15 years they figure out that you lied one little thing on your N-400 application, they should take advantage of the situation and get rid of you in this case.

I never heard of the fact that "normal" citizen was stripped of citizenship because of unpaid child alimony, 30 speeding tickets etc.

I heard that people with LPR status were in shaky condition (even faced deportation) for unpaid child alimony, 30 speeding tickets etc.

In my opinon, this is too much ado about nothing

Last edited by a moderator: