Purpose of having a lawyer with me

Hi:
My lawyer volunteered to accompany me to the special registration. Is that ok? What is the lawyers role or what does he/she does once they go with the applicant. I don't think they talk on behalf of the applicant to the immigration officer, do they?

If someone knows , please let me know what is the extent of involvement of your lawyer if he/she accompanies you to Special registration.
Thanks in advance.

Believe it or not there are Immigration Officers who don't know the law very well. The presence of the lawyer can be helpful if your current status is questionable. Also, in the unlikely event one is detained they can advise you and ensure you have legal access. I also wonder if BCIS will be more careful in doing things by the book if a lawyer is present, particuarly if judgement calls are needed - just food for thought.

My lawyer also volunteered to go with me since I was his first client subject to Special Registration. In the end I decided to go myself since my status was straighforward (I20 to H1B with current I485 in progress for > 1 year). and also because our schedules had conflicts - wanted to do it early. Perhaps the best advantage is peace of mind.

rgds,
sadiq

thank you

sadiq:

u r awsome. What a great piece of advice! I wasn't sure about taking my lawyer with me either. But she said she is going to be in the building anyway, so its not like she is accompanying me but more like she will be there available on her cell phone, in case I need her.
I'm also a I 20, H1B, I485 case. verything straight forward except mny visits to bangladesh with my Canadian residency paper while on H1b and coming back in to USA without being issued any I-94 card.

I'm going to INS on Tuesday. I wanted to wait for a week or more since I was hoping my i485 will get approved by then. I got my finger printing done for my I 485 back in january. but since my lawyer offered, I might as well go in next Tuesday.

Pray for me y'all.
Sincerely,

hmcis

are you in dallas ? i went to dallas office for sr last mth
it went great. the people were very friendly and acted pretty kindly towards us people who were there for sr
you shouldnt have any problem
take an attorney with you because some of the officers are not completely up to speed on the laws because they change so much and your attorney can actually help explain some things in the context of current laws

for SADEQ ( URGENT)

Hi Sadeq:

Is this possible to give you a call tonight? I 'm in atlanta. Just wanted to speak to you since he bother are F1-H1B-I485 pending cases.
I am going for my registration tomorrow.
Thanks.
I'll check my email again to see if you had a chance to send me your phone number.
Thanks much.

My email adress is hmcis@hotmail.com