• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

public charge

matinfar

Registered Users (C)
My wife is one of the lucky winners of DV2007 ( AS00002xxx) and hopefully will attend the interview about december 2007 in Ankara .

We have some financial documents ( "evidence of support") to present to visa officer such as bank statement , assets and property in our home country but don't have any firend or relative in US . Therefore we will not be able to present any "affidavit of support" or "arranged employment" to visa officer during the interview . I already inquired the issue from the Ankara consulate and they replied that we need to present either affidavit of support ( forms I-134, 1040 , W2 tax form ) OR letter of employment offer .

I greatly appreciate your comments and experience on this confusing matter . :)

Evidence of Support : It can be any combination of the following three :
_ Affidavit of Support : form I134 filled by a US Citizen ( USC ) or a Legal Permanent Resident ( LPR = GC holder ) http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/affsupp.htm

_ Job offer in the US : it is better to obtain a job offer on the company's letterhead and have it notarized.

_ Own funds ( bank accounts, assets....): see poverty guidelines for an idea of the amount. ( bank statement)

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigr.../info_1327.html

For the Evidence of Support, you can provide any combiantion of the 3, which means you can provide one ( any one ) of the mentioned documents, two ( any two ), or the three of them.
Remember that you better be safe than sorry. Bring as much as you can.
So, the I134 alone is good. Still, it would be better if you could show your own funds.

Also, education and english skills play a role as it will help in finding a job.
The immigration officer determines your potential to become public charge. So the more proofs you provide that you won't become one, the better for you.