• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Public charge requirement

SusieQQQ

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/86988.pdf

Apologies if I have somehow duplicated this, but I don't recall seeing this entire document linked to before.
The link above goes to the official document on public charge. A chunk of it is not relevant to DV but there is also a lot that is, including how they decide on this aspect, the number and combination of factors they take into account, what evidence they look for in the absence of a I134, how they actually assess an I134, etc.

We've actually linked to the entire document in several other threads in the past :). But no worries about duplicating it, I'm sure there are others who equally haven't seen it prior to now also and would find it useful.

Lol, sorry !! Part of the reason I didn't think so was that it clearly states that the 125% of poverty guideline does not apply to I134 and I know this has been debated a few times here in the past :D
But we get so many questions that maybe a separate thread is good...(.easier to spot than to trawl through other threads)

Lol, sorry !! Part of the reason I didn't think so was that it clearly states that the 125% of poverty guideline does not apply to I134 and I know this has been debated a few times here in the past :D
But we get so many questions that maybe a separate thread is good...(.easier to spot than to trawl through other threads)

Yes that is the document I have referred to in my blog post about public charge.

The 125% thing is clear in the rules - BUT STILL no one in the Albanian embassy seems to care what the rules say!! :p I think the use of the I134 has changed over time - so rules that used to apply to its use no longer apply, BUT some embassies probably continue to use the old guidance.

Mr Simon, I know this may be hard to fathom, but I suspect there is still the odd person or two here who does not read your blog religiously :p

Yes that is the document I have referred to in my blog post about public charge.

The 125% thing is clear in the rules - BUT STILL no one in the Albanian embassy seems to care what the rules say!! :p I think the use of the I134 has changed over time - so rules that used to apply to its use no longer apply, BUT some embassies probably continue to use the old guidance.
BTW, any response from Tirana regarding your critic letter?

What's the mininum amount of money needed?

If you read the attachment you will see there is no single answer to this. It depends entirely on your circumstances. The minimum amount for a single 23- year old with a degree in IT is very different to that of a 63-year old with a high school diploma who has been working unskilled jobs all their life.

Yeah, that's why I'm wondering what would be the minimum amount of money required for a 24 year old with a medical degree for ex.

Yeah, that's why I'm wondering what would be the minimum amount of money required for a 24 year old with a medical degree for ex.

Medical jobs are in very high demand. I imagine all you would really need, would be to be prepared to do the conversion exams you need. (Knowing what you would need to do to practice in the US would probably be helpful.) The poverty gudieline of around $10k per person in addition would probably be enough to pretty much guarantee you (possibly excluding embassies like Abu Dhabi which seem to almost always want an I134).

PS I'm curious as to why you have the Arch in your profile pic?

But 10K must have been in your account for quite some time, right?
I should be done with USMLE exams in 2 months and be ready to practice, though I don't have any job offer yet.

Aung San Suu Kyi and ArchBishop Desmond Tutu are some of my icons, and this picture of them together is a must-have for all long-time activists who fight to address social determinants of health and disparities of all sort (caused by poverty, dictatorship, etc) so it's a nice picture and these 2 are symbols of the fight for justice and democracy.

I've become a bit disillusioned by her... I once sat next to the Arch at a picnic :) no airs and graces, nothing, what a wonderful guy.

Back on topic... yes ideally the money should have been in your account a while, not always an issue. Which consulate will you be interviewing at?

I don't know yet, probably Nairobi.

How does it go for refugees? Do you have to prove you are a refugee? I mean, how can you prove that?
I don't have a passport, I fled my country recently and have been living in Kenya for a year now. All I can prove is my medical degree.

You need something for them to put a visa in. You need police records for everywhere you lived for a year or longer since age 16. You need a birth certificate, etc. As a refugee you may have major problems getting these? It's not impossible, there was a refugee posting here in DV2014, also without a passport etc, and I think he managed to get the visa. But you will face steeper obstacles than normal applicants to get the documents you need to prove you meet the requirements, and it may take longer for the embassy to do the background checks, and quite honestly given all that - if all you really do have is your medical degree then I think you need to start figuring out how to meet all the civil docs requirements - the public charge aspect will probably be the least of your worries.