• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Prospects in US

MODEST

Registered Users (C)
We all need to succeed in US. That is my reason of initiating this thread; we need vital and direct information about every aspect. Name it! Schools, jobs, taxes, supports, housings, and all sorts. I will be very pleased if we can come together and share experience, also give directives.
Most people have problems because they don’t know what to do, or even which way to apply for jobs, being a new environment. Some people believe that nursing is the only lucrative job, and don’t really like the profession, but then there are so many other things they can do to make reasonable earnings. We can help ourselves.

We all need to succeed in US. That is my reason of initiating this thread; we need vital and direct information about every aspect. Name it! Schools, jobs, taxes, supports, housings, and all sorts. I will be very pleased if we can come together and share experience, also give directives.
Most people have problems because they don’t know what to do, or even which way to apply for jobs, being a new environment. Some people believe that nursing is the only lucrative job, and don’t really like the profession, but then there are so many other things they can do to make reasonable earnings. We can help ourselves.

Nursing is not the only way to make a living here. Very few americans are into nursing for one reason which is its hard work and it dosen't pay much. I like my job at the moment but i don't see myself in this profession for a very long time. There are lots of IT jobs that are paying way more than nursing is at the moment.
For schools, i don't think there's really any bad sch out there unless ur going for the name. start off from a 2 yr college and transfer to a 4. that would save ya some money.
Taxes: there's no way to get around it. taxes are taken outta ur paycheck before u even get it. Do not try to take a whole lot of exemptions so that u don't end up paying IRS back. Tax law in the states is so complicated. just have someone file ur tax returns every yr for about $100 depending on ur income. Make sure u file income tax thou every yr or u risk losing ur Greencard

Support: there is no support in America. As soon as you get off that plane, u are on ur own unless u have family that could put u up for a few wks. well, it depends on what support u're looking for. its hard to find a whole lot of support thou. there are millions of americans living on the sidewalks.

Housing: it reallyd depends on where u live. i used to live in this little town with a population of 5,000 and my one bedroom apartment was about $250 a month. thats u can't find in LA or NY. Population and a whole lot of stuff determines price of rent. I moved to somewhere else and am paying $500 for thesame size of apartment.

Housing: it reallyd depends on where u live. i used to live in this little town with a population of 5,000 and my one bedroom apartment was about $250 a month. thats u can't find in LA or NY.
$250 is a dream. We are looking for Apartment or town house in New Jersey and price are starting at about $1200.

very detailed

Nursing is not the only way to make a living here. Very few americans are into nursing for one reason which is its hard work and it dosen't pay much. I like my job at the moment but i don't see myself in this profession for a very long time. There are lots of IT jobs that are paying way more than nursing is at the moment.
For schools, i don't think there's really any bad sch out there unless ur going for the name. start off from a 2 yr college and transfer to a 4. that would save ya some money.
Taxes: there's no way to get around it. taxes are taken outta ur paycheck before u even get it. Do not try to take a whole lot of exemptions so that u don't end up paying IRS back. Tax law in the states is so complicated. just have someone file ur tax returns every yr for about $100 depending on ur income. Make sure u file income tax thou every yr or u risk losing ur Greencard

Support: there is no support in America. As soon as you get off that plane, u are on ur own unless u have family that could put u up for a few wks. well, it depends on what support u're looking for. its hard to find a whole lot of support thou. there are millions of americans living on the sidewalks.

Housing: it reallyd depends on where u live. i used to live in this little town with a population of 5,000 and my one bedroom apartment was about $250 a month. thats u can't find in LA or NY. Population and a whole lot of stuff determines price of rent. I moved to somewhere else and am paying $500 for thesame size of apartment.

quy, i must commend you, dis is very detailed and will help a lot of people to settle in, as times roll by am sure many people will ask specific question, just be around to address issues,

have a nice sunday

Discussing about all of those is too much in one thread. It will just divert the discussion here and there and you won't get much info at the end of the day.
Start thread on specific topic(school, job, tax, etc.)

you are correct

Discussing about all of those is too much in one thread. It will just divert the discussion here and there and you won't get much info at the end of the day.
Start thread on specific topic(school, job, tax, etc.)

but den we cant talk about prospects witout referinq to dis issues, all we want is for people to be able to find d first step, also some people dont ave constant access to d web, so dey just read a litlle at a time, lets start off and see aw it qoes, so u may teach us any of dose

Prospects?

I agree absolutely with Modest. The prospects as we all understand cut across all life essentials - job, housing etc.
How is the situation of teaching in the US in terms of the availability of jobs, levels (basic, college, university etc), qualifications required. Is UK teachers certificate accepted in the US?

How is the situation of teaching in the US in terms of the availability of jobs, levels (basic, college, university etc), qualifications required.
it depends.
In California, due to budget shortage this year, they are currently under process to lay off 5000 teachers.

wa oh

I agree absolutely with Modest. The prospects as we all understand cut across all life essentials - job, housing etc.
How is the situation of teaching in the US in terms of the availability of jobs, levels (basic, college, university etc), qualifications required. Is UK teachers certificate accepted in the US?

layinq off in califonia is a problem, but like i said if u need to teach in high school, you will write and pass board exam but before den, u can reqister as a substitute teacher, u will be teaching and dey will tell u dat u must pass d board exam at a qiven time to continue d career. colleges, universities require doctorates or masters to lecture dere, so it depends on ur interest and qualification

It's not easy as you think

Live's is tough here. It's very hard to find a job. A lot of people are job less, and a lot of business owners are still hiring illegal workers, as they can pay them (illegal workers) less than those legal like us.
After 2 years coming to America, I am still working at a restaurant which am paid very minimum wages, and my supervisor once told me that the new hired persons even less than me. She told me when I asked her to help me adjust my wages. My background's is IT too. But I couldn't find an IT job here.
One more thing is that they need the credit point and recommendation from someonw who lives in America for a long time. This kind of crazy policy makes me very hard to get a better job.
Moreover, nobody would like to help us, eventhough we say that we've just moved here to sattle our lives here.
They really don't care, as they're caring their own lives too.
:mad::rolleyes:;):(:confused:

One more thing! I think it's better to be illegal than legal like us.
:confused:

haha. i very much disagree with that logic. Trust me, u would have a tougher time than u are having rite now if you were illegal. There isn't any thing good about being illegal.
hang in there buddy. U'll be just fine. If u already have a bachelors, u might try getting a MAsters too. maybe that would help with finding a better job

Live's is tough here. It's very hard to find a job. A lot of people are job less, and a lot of business owners are still hiring illegal workers, as they can pay them (illegal workers) less than those legal like us.
After 2 years coming to America, I am still working at a restaurant which am paid very minimum wages, and my supervisor once told me that the new hired persons even less than me. She told me when I asked her to help me adjust my wages. My background's is IT too. But I couldn't find an IT job here.
One more thing is that they need the credit point and recommendation from someonw who lives in America for a long time. This kind of crazy policy makes me very hard to get a better job.
Moreover, nobody would like to help us, eventhough we say that we've just moved here to sattle our lives here.

Why was that so hard to get IT job last 2 years? Job market was good, though not excellent, last 2 years and a lot of people changed jobs. It's a bit down now and may be getting difficult soon due to possible recession.

Howevre, I'd agree sometimes life is tough in the US. I've been in the US for 10 years now, and what I found is this country is really great if you are rich.

Last edited by a moderator:
meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

dis is serious oooooooooooooooo, but tell us ur qualification and open up a bit, like ur state and some stuff, am sure somes quys here can qive u a clue, u can never tell
more so, it depends on d people u mix with, some people just want u tobe like dem, some advice in dis forum can make u qet a better job,

dats wat i feel

dis is serious oooooooooooooooo, but tell us ur qualification and open up a bit, like ur state and some stuff, am sure somes quys here can qive u a clue, u can never tell
more so, it depends on d people u mix with, some people just want u tobe like dem, some advice in dis forum can make u qet a better job,

dats wat i feel

I f1nd id hrd to rd wht u r typin. mayb if u type in plain english then people will be more inclined/able to respond to your 'serious questions'.

Maybe you better leave the US. :rolleyes: Even in IT industire, there are thousands of jobs, my wife got a lot of job offers.

Confusion?

Peng's experience could be one of the difficult sides of the US ifluenced by a number of factors including the state, qualification and rightly (as Modest stated) the advice of the people being associated with. However, it still remains a reality, one of possible scenerios a desperate hustler could face.

However, shall we look at the qualification aspect of possibilities? It is important for Peng to clarify his/her qualification in order to throw more light on issues. I have a PhD and a teachers certificate (both obtained in the UK). Although comrades have advised in a similar thread that one should concentrate on the positives, i still believe it is equally important to have some ideas about the negatives and difficulties to make an informed decision. I understand in the US one could find people with masters and PhDs working in restuarants and cleaning? How true is this?

Last edited by a moderator: