Property purchased from goverment agency like MHADA

mkcio

Hi There,

What happens to the property purchased from government agency like MHADA once the US citizenship accepted? I am about to apply for US citizenship and owns a flat in Mumbai which I purchased 4 years back from MHADA. Do I lose the ownership of it?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Milind

Nothing happens - you continue to own the flat. There are no restrictions on residential property purchase for People of Indian Origin.

Nothing happens - you continue to own the flat. There are no restrictions on residential property purchase for People of Indian Origin.

If there were restriction (there is such restriction on agricultural lands, right), should naturalized US citizens of Indian origin go to
Indian embassy to protest? Or lobby US congreemen and Congress women to pass similar laws to prohibit permanent resident with
Indian citizenship from owning certain properties in USA? Your friends who have not been naturliazed may curse you but you
can say sorry I "promised to give up loyalties to other countries"

To be on the safer side, as soon as you have the US passport, apply for CIO card, that will give you parity with NRIfor most cases ( except voting, standing in election etc...)

For financial transactions in india, a PIO or OCI card is not required. You are considered a person of indian origin if you once held an indian passport. Having OCI or PIO card doesn't offer any additional advantages as far as financial matters (property ownership, NRI accounts, etc.)

Hi Milind,

Can you please share what you eventually did about your Mhada property or any new information that you have come across. I am in a similar situation.

Thanks.