Processing time for i-485 under 245i

enochy

Registered Users (C)
Hi, I like to know how long it usually takes to process an i-485 under 245i.

this is my timeline so far,
08/06/2010 - Mailed to Chicago office Express Mail (i485, i485a, i864, i765, i131 etc.)
08/09/2010 - Received by Chicago USCIS Chicago Express.
08/18/2010 - Checks cashed
08/21/2010 - NOA's received in the mail
08/30/2010 - Biometrics appointment letter received (for 9/22)
09/22/2010 - Had biometrics done
09/27/2010 - Email/txt about EAD ordered
10/02/2010 - Received AP approval letters
10/04/2010 - Recevied EAD cards in the mail
10/05/2010 - Applied for SS# at the SSA office
......Waiting for an interview letter, im in NYC.

im actually the derivative, my aunt(USC) petitioned for my dad based on FB4.

QUESTION***
My dad has a record where he was arrested over ten years ago for a dispute at a restaurant(they thought he and his friends were drunk so they added buncha things to the bill and my father refused to pay), however, due to the language barrier and since he was abit intoxicated, he was arrested. He was fingerprinted, paid the fine, and was released. I got his court disposition letter saying everything was dismissed. We gave it to the lawyer so he can mail it with our AOS application as well as an explanation letter.
Now the question is, do you think this is whats holding up the process? Im sure his fingerprints are gonna raise a red flag initially from the FBI name/fingerprint check.

I'm dying to see that interview letter...

ACCORDING TO MY LAWYER***
i-485 cases take usually 6 months, however, in the case of 245i, it's longer, he said 1 to 2 years long.

how true is this? im crossing my fingers because I can't believe its gonna be another year or 2...ughhhhh

can anyone add their input?

It should not take that long simply because on the I-130 Reciept or approval letter if it has a filing or priority date of 30th April, 2001 or before it automatically gets the 245i protection and there is no other process to determine the applicability of 245i.
As far as the arrest is concerned I don't believe it will be of much significance because for one it was a misdemeanor and second it happened ten years ago, rest assured it will come in due time at least until then you guys can go on with life having SS numbers, EAD and AP if you guys need to travel.

I'll be applying next week for 485 w/ 245i.... Ive also heard the same.. that it'd take for ever. However, if the application takes more than the stated 4-5 months on the USCIS website... we'd qualify for expedited service..... lets see.

However, let me predict.. the whole process would be much faster and perhaps w/in the timeline -just based on the newer USCIS.

Last edited by a moderator:
topeka, can you tell me where it says a person is qualified for expedited service if it takes longer than 4-5 months, thank you

check this uscis link out
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

I had called the 800 number for my i130 .. the lady told me if its more than what it says on the website.. then she will put in an inquiry to see what was taking so long. 485 according to uscis is taking 4-5 months which is indeed a relief... considering the fact that a few years ago it was 1-2 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Enochy,

Can u say how long it took to get the disposition letter. I'm enquiring because I'm the derivative of my husband's petition (24i)
He too was arrested in NYC (one night, did not see a judge and was convicted.) He got a letter from NYPD stating (undocketed arrest, no convictions) but the lawyer also sent out to the DA's office for a disposition. It's been a couple of weeks and I am just curious as to how long it may take for them to respond.

Thank u

Does anyone else know how long it takes to get a disposition letter from the DA's office?

ladym, i went to the criminal court building in jamaica and paid ten dollars to get it.

FROM http://www.nycourts.gov/courts/nyc/criminal/faqs.shtml#Certificate%20of%20Disposition%20request
To request a Certificate of Disposition bring the following items to the central clerk's office in the county in which your case was filed: docket number, or defendant's full name and date of birth, or date of arrest; picture I.D.; $10.00 (exact change only). If requesting a disposition for a defendant who has a sealed case, you must attach a notarized letter from the defendant giving permission to release the disposition.

Thanks for ur reply. The lawyer says we should wait a couple more weeks, since they already sent for it through the mail. His arrest was in brooklyn, and they stated NO WALK INS