Procedure at the port of entry in the US

cchong

Registered Users (C)
I just returned back from London and wanted to share with you of my travel experience with my RTD.

When I returned back to New York from London, I lined up at the US passport holders line (there were two lines - US Passport Holders & Foreign Passport Holders). At the immigration counter, I provided the following documents to the INS officer:

1) RTD
2) New I-94
3) Custom Declaration Form
4) A copy of my I-94 that I received when I granted Ayslum Status (not the original)
5) A copy of my granted asylum status letter

The INS officer did not ask any questions.

Becuase the INS officer did not have the right stamp at his counter, he took me to a room for a stamp on my new I-94.

The stamp shows as follow:
"ASYLUM STATUS
Granted pursuant to
Section 208(c) INA
Valid to Indef
EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZED"

Hope this info help.

Originally posted by cchong
I just returned back from London and wanted to share with you of my travel experience with my RTD.

When I returned back to New York from London, I lined up at the US passport holders line (there were two lines - US Passport Holders & Foreign Passport Holders). At the immigration counter, I provided the following documents to the INS officer:

1) RTD
2) New I-94
3) Custom Declaration Form
4) A copy of my I-94 that I received when I granted Ayslum Status (not the original)
5) A copy of my granted asylum status letter

The INS officer did not ask any questions.

Becuase the INS officer did not have the right stamp at his counter, he took me to a room for a stamp on my new I-94.

The stamp shows as follow:
"ASYLUM STATUS
Granted pursuant to
Section 208(c) INA
Valid to Indef
EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZED"

Hope this info help.

Good, they used to give I-94 that is valid for one year only... now they are doing it the right way and they gave you an I94 that is valid indefinitely.

I afraid it only depend on IO - how competent he is.
Thank you for sharing your experiance.
Why do they put "Employment authorized'?
We have unrestricted SS already. Does that stamp("Employment authorized') mean we still have to apply for EAD card?

TOMOCHKA,

The reason I provided a copy of my I-94 and the asylum approval letter is to reduce the possibility of getting a wrong stamp.

The documents provide a prove of what the stamp should be.

The "Employment Authorized" phase does not mean that we need to apply EAD. You do not have to worry about the employment authorized phase.