Possible Issue with Mistake on I-130

papacruz

I just recently filed the petition for a Green Card for my husband. I made a mistake and I'm not sure how serious it is or when/how to address it.

On the I-130 there is a question regarding any other names used, Question 7. Without thinking about it I answered NA however, on our marriage certificate we have our hyphenated last name as our new name. He has that name on his military dependent ID card. Those are the only two places that name is used. I didn't think about it until after filing the petition and he had to go see the doctor for an unrelated issue and I looked at his card. Neither of us use our hyphenated last name for any other purpose or on any other documents.

Is there anything I can/should do to correct this oversight prior to receiving any information back? Is this a serious issue that should concern me? Could this affect approval of our petition or green card? Any information would be appreciated.

I just recently filed the petition for a Green Card for my husband. I made a mistake and I'm not sure how serious it is or when/how to address it.

On the I-130 there is a question regarding any other names used, Question 7. Without thinking about it I answered NA however, on our marriage certificate we have our hyphenated last name as our new name. He has that name on his military dependent ID card. Those are the only two places that name is used. I didn't think about it until after filing the petition and he had to go see the doctor for an unrelated issue and I looked at his card. Neither of us use our hyphenated last name for any other purpose or on any other documents.

Is there anything I can/should do to correct this oversight prior to receiving any information back? Is this a serious issue that should concern me? Could this affect approval of our petition or green card? Any information would be appreciated.

Hi Papacruz,

You can make the corrections when you fill out the DS-260 and make sure you fill that out correctly. I don't think this will affect the petition.