Police Clearance

Neil B.

Registered Users (C)
Cannot seem to figure out who does and who does not need to get a police background check...what do they mean by " special class"??
Being Candian citizens, if we do have to bother with this, would it be a Canadian Police check or a US police check??

Thanks all.

Cannot seem to figure out who does and who does not need to get a police background check...what do they mean by " special class"??
Being Candian citizens, if we do have to bother with this, would it be a Canadian Police check or a US police check??

Thanks all.

What are you talking about?
AFAIU there are two cases when you need a police clearance
1. USCIS will send your fingerprints to the FBI for criminal background check. FBI, in some cases, may reject your fingerprints because of the quality of the fingerprints. In case your fingerprints are rejected by FBI, USCIS will notify you and schedule another appointment. You will not have to pay the fee again.
If the FBI rejects your fingerprints twice, you may be asked to provide police clearances for each place you have lived in the past 5 years. You will need to contact appropriate police department in the place you have lived to get these clearances.
2. Consular processing. Applicants are required to submit police certificates in all names as well as all dates of birth that they have used. The police certificate must contain references to each place in which the applicant lives or has lived for more than six months since reaching the age of 16. This includes localities where applicants have lived during university studies. If the applicant was on military service, he/she should bring the certificate from the local draft board. If an applicant has lived abroad for more than one year, a police certificate must also be submitted from the country in which he/she lived.

Thank you. On page 3 of the instructional sheets of Form I-485, it details Biometric services and Police clearances. Both separate issues apparently.

In regard to " Police clearances", it states " If you are filing for adjustment of status as a member of a special class described in an I-485 supplement form.."
As for the consular processing you mention, I have no idea if that pertains to my situation or if it applies to everyone..??

In regard to " Police clearances", it states " If you are filing for adjustment of status as a member of a special class described in an I-485 supplement form.." As for the consular processing you mention, I have no idea if that pertains to my situation or if it applies to everyone..??

By and large, you will not be required to submit a police clearance if you're filing an I-485. If you were filing based on 245i or the 1986 amnesty, you might - but I'm going to assume you're not.

By and large, you will not be required to submit a police clearance if you're filing an I-485. If you were filing based on 245i or the 1986 amnesty, you might - but I'm going to assume you're not.

The real candian,
your advise needed.
I have to go for consular interveiw in chennai . I worked in 2 countries before working in usa. I did'nt go to that country after that.I had the police certificate of both the countires which i got it 2 years back?Do I need to know the police certificate has validity?