1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please someone help

Discussion in 'H-1 6 Years Expiring' started by julio kayt, May 29, 2002.

  1. julio kayt

    julio kayt Registered Users (C)

    I am about to file I-140 and my 6 years H-1 expires Dec. 2000
    Can I change my status to F1 before filing I-140 and stay legal after Dec?

    RAMSUD Registered Users (C)

    No Title

    It depends on what kind of education you are pursuing. You can switch to F1 status even though it will be tough, because of the
    non-immigration intent. However, I think, if you are able to prove that you are really serious about higher studies, like getting into
    admission into a good university/college.

    What constraints you have ? your wife is working here and you want to continue ? You may even consider, coming here on B1
    after going back to your country and joining some leading software firms.
  3. julio kayt

    julio kayt Registered Users (C)

    No Title

    Thanks for your help Ramsud
    I don\'t have a wife yet and I will probably go back to my country December and wait over there for the result of I-140 and if everything is OK with it I will try to come back here for AOS
    maybe with tourist visa or something
    thanks again
  4. shankarank

    shankarank Registered Users (C)

    No Title

    Non-immigrant intent applies only if you are outside U.S?? Doesn\'t it?? If you are already in the U.S , INS should allow you to stay with F1 status right?? My take on this is You will have problems , only if you travel and you try to stamp a Visa at a consulate.

    Thus you may not get a F1 Visa in a consulate , but you may be able to file an ammendment to adjust to a different non-immigrant status, if you are already in the U.S??

    Please check with a lawyer.
  5. Bravemind

    Bravemind Registered Users (C)

    No Title

    Relax, there are several ways you can stay in the US even if your H1 expires. If your wife still has H1 period remaining then it is best for her to find a job. Otherwise, you can extend your H1 by the number of weeks or months you have stayed outside US in the last six years. If you have already applied for I140 and you are expecting its approval in the next 4 or 5 months, I would suggest not to leave the US but wait for its approval. Once your I140 is approved you can apply for I485 and you will get your employment authorization along with it. You are safe as long as your combined total of unlawful stay in the US is less than 180 days.
    Hope this helps!!

    Past sufferer.
  6. vasuk

    vasuk New Member

    No Title

     You mentioned that if one clears I-140, how he can apply for I485 without his/her priority date being current.

  7. rjain00

    rjain00 Registered Users (C)

    No Title

    To get the credit of the time you stayed outside US, do you need to be with a diffrent employer?? Or the vacation time, business trips all can be counted??

    Appreciate your reply...

Share This Page