Please help! I'm confused and worried about my husband's pending adjustment of status

USATnT

Registered Users (C)
I'm a US citizen. I married my Trinidadian husband in 2010. He was a visa overstayer. I filed to adjust his status in September 2010. We got receipt notices (I-130, I-485, and I-765) from USCIS that state the received date was Sept 26, 2010 and the notice date of Oct 1, 2010. The receipts start with the letters MSC. Soon he was scheduled for biometrics.

On November 5, my husband completed his biometrics. By December 1, 2010, he had a work permit. Since then, everything has come to a standstill. He has had no more correspondence from USCIS. When we check the status online, it states "initial review."

I can't even check the processing time. We were told over the phone that the case is at the National Benefits Center- and there is no processing time listed for the I-130 nor I-485. According to everyone's predictions, he should've had the interview by now. It's been over 6 months since USCIS received our paperwork (and there were never any RFE's). Immigration representatives can't give us any information either.

What is going on? I'm wondering if we will ever get scheduled for an interview. For the record, we reside in NYC. The USCIS paperwork first went to Chicago. My husband has had his work permit since the first week in December and there has been no correspondence from USCIS since (however, my husband did get a letter a few months ago stating that he was registered for the selective service).

Is this normal?? How much longer will it likely be? We want to go on the honeymoon we never had this summer.....

I'm a US citizen. I married my Trinidadian husband in 2010. He was a visa overstayer. I filed to adjust his status in September 2010. We got receipt notices (I-130, I-485, and I-765) from USCIS that state the received date was Sept 26, 2010 and the notice date of Oct 1, 2010. The receipts start with the letters MSC. Soon he was scheduled for biometrics.

On November 5, my husband completed his biometrics. By December 1, 2010, he had a work permit. Since then, everything has come to a standstill. He has had no more correspondence from USCIS. When we check the status online, it states "initial review."

I can't even check the processing time. We were told over the phone that the case is at the National Benefits Center- and there is no processing time listed for the I-130 nor I-485. According to everyone's predictions, he should've had the interview by now. It's been over 6 months since USCIS received our paperwork (and there were never any RFE's). Immigration representatives can't give us any information either.

What is going on? I'm wondering if we will ever get scheduled for an interview. For the record, we reside in NYC. The USCIS paperwork first went to Chicago. My husband has had his work permit since the first week in December and there has been no correspondence from USCIS since (however, my husband did get a letter a few months ago stating that he was registered for the selective service).

Is this normal?? How much longer will it likely be? We want to go on the honeymoon we never had this summer.....

1. Determine which office is your local office and check that for the I-485 processing time because that is where they will interview you two. (You can locate it on www.uscis.gov for processing times by entering your zip code. The NYC area has more than one office that serves the residents there.)

2. NYC residents are subject to a "Stokes Interview" named for a court decision. Look it up and study it.

3. IF he overstayed more than 180 days, then he cannot travel abroad until he gets a greencard. IF he overstayed less than that, he is eligible for advance parole (you did not list the -131 as having been submitted so he probably cannot travel).

NYC is a very busy District Office. They are currently processing August 17th 2010.
You will get an interview eventually. You can contact your representative and see what is going on with your case.

Oh and every DO has a way to do STOKES interview. NYC applicants are not automatically given one.