• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Photo tool issue.

yassir96

Hello,

So basically i was trying to figure out whether my photo qualifies for the DV lottery or not, I had it professionally taken and it seems to meet every requirement, however when I opened the photo tool I couldn't seem to fit my hair within the bigger oval without misplacing the smaller one and I kept getting this error
image.jpg
message, am I just overthinking this or is it really going to be a problem? I really don't want to cut my hair just to be able to take this photo, any solutions? here're the photos
image.jpg

Last edited:
Hello,

So basically i was trying to figure out whether my photo qualifies for the DV lottery or not, I had it professionally taken and it seems to meet every requirement, however when I opened the photo tool I couldn't seem to fit my hair within the bigger oval without misplacing the smaller one and I kept getting this error
image.jpg
message, am I just overthinking this or is it really going to be a problem? I really don't want to cut my hair just to be able to take this photo, any solutions? here're the photos
image.jpg

Your picture is outside of the square from the photo tool. You need to make sure it fits in the square of the tool and make the proper adjustments. Try playing with the zoom option as well until it fit. I had this same problem last year and I had to take a new picture. Try also checking some videos on youtube, since they have some good guidance videos :)

Last edited:
Hi members, I've GOT A SIMILAR PROBLEM. I used the official photo tool to crop and save my photo. I then used an online photo checker and it passed at all stages. I was curious to find out if the same approved photo would automatically fit in the photo tool when re-uploaded. Unfortunately it did not. What does this imply? It is as if the changes were not saved after the cropping though I clicked save. I fear to go ahead and submit now that it does fit the phototool any longer. Please advise. I feel frustrated. I need urgent help please.

Your picture is outside of the square from the photo tool. You need to make sure it fits in the square of the tool and make the proper adjustments. Try playing with the zoom option as well until it fit. I had this same problem last year and I had to take a new picture. Try also checking some videos on youtube, since they have some good guidance videos :)

Hey Pierre, how's been life treating you?
yeah i'm aware of that, but as i said earlier I can't fit my hair into the bigger one without misplacing the small one so it no longer only has my face in it, i feel like the photo tool isn't black hair friendly lol. I think i'm gonna have to either cut my hair or comb it back in a way so it doesn't hang that high off of my head anymore and then go back and take another photo, but thanks for replying!

Last edited:
Hi members, I've GOT A SIMILAR PROBLEM. I used the official photo tool to crop and save my photo. I then used an online photo checker and it passed at all stages. I was curious to find out if the same approved photo would automatically fit in the photo tool when re-uploaded. Unfortunately it did not. What does this imply? It is as if the changes were not saved after the cropping though I clicked save. I fear to go ahead and submit now that it does fit the phototool any longer. Please advise. I feel frustrated. I need urgent help please.
i'd say wait for any of the forum's experts to reply to you and then decide what to do.

Don't worry about trying to get all the hair within the oval. The oval is designed to fit around the human FACE, not hair fashion.

Hey Pierre, how's been life treating you?
yeah i'm aware of that, but as i said earlier I can't fit my hair into the bigger one without misplacing the small one so it no longer only has my face in it, i feel like the photo tool isn't black hair friendly lol. I think i'm gonna have to either cut my hair or comb it back in a way so it doesn't hang that high off of my head anymore and then go back and take another photo, but thanks for replying!

Everything is doing good at the moment and hoping that lady luck is on our side this year. Good to see you resolve the photo issue with Britsimon advise

foto%20visa%20-%20kopie_zpslixgsbrm.jpg
[/IMG] I had a professional picture taken but it was still too big. I managed to crop it with the official tool but I'm having trouble meeting the percentages they give:

The head height or facial region size (measured from the top of the head, including the hair, to the bottom of the chin) must be between 50 percent and 69 percent of the image's total height. The eye height (measured from the bottom of the image to the level of the eyes) should be between 56 percent and 69 percent of the image’s height.

I'm right on the edge. Is it best to have a new picture taken with different dims?

foto%20visa%20-%20kopie_zpslixgsbrm.jpg

Two more things.

When I re-upload to the phototool it doesnt match the lines anymore. And when you get rejected over an incorrect picture, does it tell you when you check next year?

And when you get rejected over an incorrect picture, does it tell you when you check next year?

If the picture is not acceptable, it won't let you submit the entry. After that, the only time you would get rejected for a problem with the photo (which would not be the technical specs that the photo tool checks for, but things like eyes not visible or whatever) would be at interview.