• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Photo problem for DV2008

soulmekki

Registered Users (C)
Hello everyone,

I think i made a mistake for my first participation to the green card, i think my participation will be rejected because of the photo i took.

I took my photo to a photograph but as i dont have a scanner at home and the photograph didnt have a scanner neither, i made to a Kodak office and brought my 5cm*5cm pictures and asked for a scan.The parameters were all good (size of the head etc...), he gave me back a CD with the picture in it and on the pic i dont have the red eyes i have on the real picture. So i m afraid about it...
Another mistake, i opened the pic on photoshop to check it out and then made "save for web" and THAT changes automatically the resolution to 72dpi i guess because on photoshop it tells me so, but when i go on the propreties of the pic on the desktop, it tells me 96ppp which is in french the meaning for dpi.

I dont think that i can upload my pic on the forum and show it to everyone...so here i show the properties of my pic when you make a right click :

http://img451.imageshack.us/img451/7862/pppeq5.jpg

Well if somebody who won an old DV, can make the same thing with the photo he won with and tell me what's written in the properties, that would be great !

Thanks,

See you

Dear mr.

For sure you have to follow the photo specification as mentioned in the instruction, (for scanned 2in x 2in @ 300ppi) otherwise you will be automatically disqualified. The USDS use a sophesitcated technology to determine easly such photos.
I submitted a winner photo matching with the above.

I tried to follow very hard, but the kodak's guy told me that the resolution was 150dpi so i thought it was alright, then i saved with photoshop and it appereas it changed automatically...

Please can a winner of an old dv make a right click on his winning picture and go on properties and tell me what there's on the resolution. I just wanna check if a pic like mine had already won a dv...

Please help me...

I belive you have tested the validity using the tester provided in their website..you your photo has passed the test you are safe..no worries

Well, maybe the test only checks the resolution in pixels (300*300) ans the size <60 not the resolution in dpi...

Well i hope you 're right...

MamaJ, as you won the dv 2007, cant you check the photo you ve won with if you still have it and tell me what there is in the resolution as i did (right clic>properties>)?

I took screens of what you have to do to help me... I hope you will. The first step is to right click on the file. after i put red arrows to show you where to click.

1) http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/2694/13423101gi1.jpg
2)
http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/4021/15981086nr7.jpg
3)
http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/2876/35398569sk5.jpg
4)
http://img502.imageshack.us/my.php?image=58475467dl6.jpg

I really hope you could help me and tell me what you see on the resolution on ppp (ppp is the french name for dpi)

Thanks to the ones who will answer

Soulmekki!!

Once your photo was accepted by the uploading program, this means that it has met all technical criteria.

Cheers,,

Why worry about it.
You can't fix it.
If you win, you will get a letter.
If you don't win or were disqualified, you will not get a letter.
Worrying about it now does nothing.

I know but you know i wanna be sure, i mean everyday i m looking to my mailbox full of hope...

Well you re right ordinaria...

Thanks

Why worry about it.
You can't fix it.
If you win, you will get a letter.
If you don't win or were disqualified, you will not get a letter.
Worrying about it now does nothing.

Soulmekki,

Yes you should worry about it. You should know if your photo didn't meet their requirements so that you can fix this problem if you are applying in DV2009 (if you were unlucky in DV2008). But for your already submitted photo, you don't have anything to do now.. Only keep checking your mailbox.

Yes i know i cant change anything for DV2008 but you know, it's just to be sure...

And yes i will apply to the DV2009 so can somebody check his photo with the screens i made ?

Thanks

You mean you sent one photo with 96ppp and 96ppp like the one i put the screen on the forum ?

don't worry... i sent a photo with the same properties you sent...
if you sent a photo 300x300 pixels with min resolution of 72 or 96 dpi (ppp) and followed the regulations about background and hair and pose and similiar I think it's ok..

so, stop worrying.. you're ok... ;)

don't worry... i sent a photo with the same properties you sent...

Okok, but the question is : is your photo ok ?

I mean, everywhere they say the resolution 150...I m sorry i m paranoiac, it 's just because i really wanna go, like all of us i think...

Okok, but the question is : is your photo ok ?

I mean, everywhere they say the resolution 150...I m sorry i m paranoiac, it 's just because i really wanna go, like all of us i think...

look the part of DV-2008 regulations where they talk about taking new digital photos (with digital camera)... there is no talk about resolution..
and with every, yes with every digital camera when you take a picture you get a photo of 72 dpi.. :)

they don't know if you scanned your photo or you took a new digital photo... in another words, resolution obviously doesn't matter (i mean resoultion must be 72 dpi or greater, but 72 dpi is obviously enough).. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes but if you take a pic with a camera, the pic must be 240*320 or something like that but not 300*300. So they know, when they see the picture if you scanned it or took it directly with your camera...

Well I hope you re right, for both of us...

See you

If the system accepted it you are fine.
The system wouldn't accept pictures that don't adjust to the technical requirements.

Just keep checking your mailbox.
I do the same thing - have been checking it for 9 years in a row.
No luck so far.