Petitioner of I-130 F2B becomes Citizen

rak_shah

Hello,
I have green card and i have filed F2B application (I-130) for my adult unmarried son. The question is, once the I-130 is approved, and then if i become US citizen, will it affect the subsequent I-485 filing of my son? If i informe USCIS about my status change, will it delays process time of I-485 of my son?
thank you in advance.
Rakesh
=====

Yes, there is an effect. It will automatically move from the F2B category to the F1 category. But you can "opt out" of this and choose for it to stay in F2B if you want. F1 is sometimes slower and sometimes faster than F2B, so do whatever is to your advantage.

What status is your son in? Adjustment of Status (I-485) is only for if he is in the US and in status, at the time a visa number becomes available.

Yes, there is an effect. It will automatically move from the F2B category to the F1 category. But you can "opt out" of this and choose for it to stay in F2B if you want. F1 is sometimes slower and sometimes faster than F2B, so do whatever is to your advantage.

What status is your son in? Adjustment of Status (I-485) is only for if he is in the US and in status, at the time a visa number becomes available.
Thank you for your views. My son is currently in US with his H1 work visa. I applied for his I-130 in Dec'19. I am thinking of applying for my own citizenship within the timeline when his I-130 is approved - do ater that if it changes to F1 category the processing timeline (assuming longer with F1) does not affect. I know the timeline (of I-130 approval) is difficult to predict though!. Thanks again.

The timeline of I-130 is irrelevant. What matters is how long it takes for a visa number to become available. Even after I-130 is approved, there is nothing you guys can do until a visa number becomes available. Look at the visa bulletin for which visa numbers are now available. For whether I-485 can be filed, look at USCIS's chart (which takes one of the two charts from the visa bulletin, at USCIS's choosing each month). Currently, I-485 can be filed for F2B I-130 filed about 7 years ago, and F1 filed about 6.5 years ago. So it will be a few more years until a visa number can be available. If his status ends before he can file I-485, he would have to switch to Consular Processing for an immigrant visa abroad.