1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Permanent Resident need to travel

Discussion in 'Passports' started by musze008, Apr 20, 2012.

  1. musze008

    musze008 Registered Users (C)

    i HAD a foreign passport prior to being a permanent resident. my foreign passport HAD an I-94, which INS took from me when i went to my interview for permanent residency (i-485 application process.) however although i no longer have an I-94 attached to my passport i still have my foreign passport and i now have a permanent resident ID card. if i want to travel to another country, do i use my passport as well as my permanent resident card or do i need t obtain a US passport? how do i get a travel visa to visit another country?

    i know its weird question but since coming here when i was a child ive never traveled outside the US and have no idea how to go about visiting another country now that i am able to.

    thank you.
  2. cafeconleche

    cafeconleche Registered Users (C)

    If you are not a US citizen, and only a permanent resident, you have no right to a US passport. Your green card is your "visa" to leave and enter the US, and your passport is your travel document that allows you to travel to all or almost all countries, depending on your country of citizenship (for example, Israelis are barred from entering many Muslim countries). This also is an indication of whether or not you require a visa to enter certain countries. Your green card also gives you visa-free access to some countries even if your citizenship does not (like Canada, many countries and territories in the Carribean, Mexico, etc.).

    Look into all these things. You can check the websites of embassies of countries you'd like to visit, or check the website of their Foreign Ministry. If you provide your country of citizenship, we can help you with specifics. Your criminal record (if any) also comes into play here, as some people are barred, or will be hassled, when trying to enter some countries (like Canada).

    Congratulations on getting back into status, by the way. I'm sure it's a good feeling.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2012

Share This Page