PERM - Chicago vs Atlanta

a strange response from the lawyer

My case was filed on July 6th, EB2, Chicago processing center, which by now has passed 9 weeks. I have asked my lawyer to contact DOL regarding the status of my case but got the following response.

DOL did not implement a mechanism for us to contact them directly for cases pending beyond 60 days. Any attempt to inquire the status of the case with DOL may potentially jeopordize the case. Unlike CIS where your H-1B was filed, DOL only allow the HR and the attorney to have access to their system. Therefore you will not be able to have access to DOL for case status.

Is the above statement true, especially about jeopordizing the case? I thought that having the lawyer to get in touch with DOL regarding my case when it's passed 8 weeks is the stated right and also something that helps.

Any advice from your experience will be appreciated.

Thanks.
lionking5

likeRoses said:
Hi

My application was filed on 21 july at chicago and for tomorrow its going to be 8 weeks, since the day one my status is "In Process". what do we think of this? do you think if there was an audit we would have got the letter by now? did anyone get certified at chicago??? I see lot of Atlanta certifieds.

Thanks.

My application was filed on June, 6th -still in process. 100 days till date.

lionking5 said:
My case was filed on July 6th, EB2, Chicago processing center, which by now has passed 9 weeks. I have asked my lawyer to contact DOL regarding the status of my case but got the following response.

DOL did not implement a mechanism for us to contact them directly for cases pending beyond 60 days. Any attempt to inquire the status of the case with DOL may potentially jeopordize the case. Unlike CIS where your H-1B was filed, DOL only allow the HR and the attorney to have access to their system. Therefore you will not be able to have access to DOL for case status.

Is the above statement true, especially about jeopordizing the case? I thought that having the lawyer to get in touch with DOL regarding my case when it's passed 8 weeks is the stated right and also something that helps.

Any advice from your experience will be appreciated.

Thanks.
lionking5

many cases that have passed 60 days and still pending?

I have talked to an immigration lawyer that I know. He said he has been handling about 20 PERM cases so far, 10 of them approaved within three weeks or so.

Do we have any idea of roughly what percentage of PERM application so far have passed 60 days deadline? Is it major portion of the all application or roughly 50:50, or even a very small fraction of the entire application?

how many got approved in chicago?

Oh boy! so we don't know how long to wait.... I thought lawyer could call them for status. I got my HR to create an account for me online so i can check my status without bugging them everyday.

Is there anyone who got they PERM certified from Chicago center? if so please let us know and also mention how soon you got it.

Thanks

My case us pending for more 95 days now. One should be born with luck on his side to get this LC. OR atleast one should not be born with unlucky. I guess I am born unlucky so will have to settle with H1B

how come so silent?

seems most of us have not been certified yet. I propose to update our status again in this thread. For those who was certified, please update your information too.

The following is meine:

Status: einmanninus - File:07/14- FR :07/14 - IP: 07/28 -Certified: Not Yet
Note: Chicago, EB2 in ME, No paper LC application, will start H1B from Oct. (currently using OPT)

If your File date is earlier than meine, please add befor me; otherwise, after me.

ravishing

hi ravishing
I m in the middle of the PERM process with Sr DBA job title. Shooting for EB2.. can u provide me with some help in this regard ?? After the process in the recruitment stage he says that EB2 is very difficult and we need to revise everything to EB3 ... :confused:

thanks
4evernp

hi 4evernp
I am not sure what your situation is, but if possible try eb2, as it will help on the other GC stages. there are other threads or forums which have much more inofrmation on eb2 vs eb3 so hopefully that will help you make a decision, as i don't have much knowledge about it. just make sure you qualify for eb2, if they audit your application now or on later stages and you can't justify it then probably the application may get denied.
good luck...
PERM: applied 7/28 Chicago center, programmer, California, EB2, MS + 0
certified: 9/06 , hard copy received: 9/08
485/140/AP (Advance parole) applied: 9/22

receipt

Hi,
I also applied for 140/485/AP on 09/22.
Will you please post when you get the receipts with EAC nos. from the USCIS?

Thanks in advance.

ravishing said:
hi 4evernp
I am not sure what your situation is, but if possible try eb2, as it will help on the other GC stages. there are other threads or forums which have much more inofrmation on eb2 vs eb3 so hopefully that will help you make a decision, as i don't have much knowledge about it. just make sure you qualify for eb2, if they audit your application now or on later stages and you can't justify it then probably the application may get denied.
good luck...
PERM: applied 7/28 Chicago center, programmer, California, EB2, MS + 0
certified: 9/06 , hard copy received: 9/08
485/140/AP (Advance parole) applied: 9/22

Certified!

Applied on: 8/31
PERM Center: Atlanta
Category: EB-2
Job: CIS Manager
Requirement: MS + 2 year experience

Its so sad .. I would not be able to file for 485 before Oct 1st..

Medicale is not done as yet so looks like I will miss the boat..

any suggestions gurus?

hi :
i haven't received the receipts yet, so little concerned about it, but hope it comes through soon.
Araj_98 congrats, you may still file even without a medical done, i have read on other forums that some people submit without medical and then you get a RFE later asking for that document, so you might still get your application in, confirm with your attorney though, and check other forums, if it is possible then go ahead and do it...
good luck!

?

My attorney says..USCIS will reject 485 if it doesnt include medical. I will confirm.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Comparison

Gathered all available cases from this and Murthy board and charted in one file. Please see the 2 worksheets for each processing center.

Statistics:
Chicago total 65
Chicago approvals 19: 29.23%
Chicago Average Approval wait: 49 days
Outstanding wait (people still waiting): 99 days

Atlanta total 36
Atlanta approvals 25: 69.44%
Atlanta Average Approval wait: 40 days
Outstanding wait (people still waiting): 72 days

So far I wasn't quite convinced but this is more than clear: Atlanta seems to work the way PERM was intended. Chicago is much slower and less approvals are forthcoming. AILA should speak out against this disparity.
However keep in mind that the data we have available for Chicago has a lot more May/June/July cases (33 of 65) which seem to take longer because of system changes, whereas Atlanta has the bulk of July/August/September cases (28 of 36), which were processed faster on both centers. In fact in the July-October timeframe Chicago approvals took 32 days vs 34 days in Atlanta.
Comparing the 'sweet timezone' of July-October we get the following:
Chicago July-Oct total: 30
approvals: 12 40.00%

Atlanta July-Oct total: 28
approvals: 21 75.00%

At pretty much the same number of applications Atlanta is still almost twice as good as Chicago....

Last edited by a moderator:
Labor Approved.

I received an email from Lawyer about my PERM LC. Its approved.
Was filed in 5/26/2005. Waited for almost 4.5 months. Finaly approved.

Waiting for original now.

There is a hope.

Chicago.....

These cases filed by my employer and no approvals, no audit letters till today...they called, emailed, sent letters... no use. Finally they called today in front of me and DOL requested to call back on Monday. All Chicago cases... my employer also upset with this..couple of consultants left them stating they did nothing on their green card. Is there any way to reach Chief of Chicago Processing Center???

C-05xxx-xxxxx 10/10/2005 In Process
C-05xxx-xxxxx 10/07/2005 In Process
C-05xxx-xxxxx 09/18/2005 In Process
C-05xxx-xxxxx 09/14/2005 In Process
C-05xxx-xxxxx 09/05/2005 In Process
C-05xxx-xxxxx 08/26/2005 In Process
C-05xxx-xxxxx 08/18/2005 In Process
C-05xxx-xxxxx 08/12/2005 In Process
C-05xxx-xxxxx 08/11/2005 In Process
C-05xxx-xxxxx 07/06/2005 In Process
C-05xxx-xxxxx 07/05/2005 In Process
C-05xxx-xxxxx 07/02/2005 In Process
C-05xxx-xxxxx 06/30/2005 In Process
C-05xxx-xxxxx 06/16/2005 In Process
C-05xxx-xxxxx 05/09/2005 In Process
C-05xxx-xxxxx 05/07/2005 In Process
C-05xxx-xxxxx 05/05/2005 In Process
C-05xxx-xxxxx 05/05/2005 In Process
C-05xxx-xxxxx 05/04/2005 In Process

EB3 from Chicago.

But I guess there is no use to get it approved now as you still can not file for I-485 for atleast 3-4 yrs, may be more.

I don't understand what is the point of getting EB3 LC approved at this time.

No worries...

Apply 140 immediately...very soon they are going to implement changes so that people who cannot get gc because of retrogression can atleast apply 485 and avail ead benefits.

Are you from IT? How many employees are there in your company?

Malik_Labor said:
EB3 from Chicago.

But I guess there is no use to get it approved now as you still can not file for I-485 for atleast 3-4 yrs, may be more.

I don't understand what is the point of getting EB3 LC approved at this time.

Caution - while this hopefully will happen they indicated that this option would only be available as long as the I-140 was not approved yet - so don't file until they approve that provision.

rest_2004_free said:
Apply 140 immediately...very soon they are going to implement changes so that people who cannot get gc because of retrogression can atleast apply 485 and avail ead benefits.

Are you from IT? How many employees are there in your company?