Pending asylum in BIA

Sabawaleed

Hi everybody,We are family from Iraq and my husband applied for asylum in 11/2011 and the asylum officer denied our asylum and referred us to IJ which he also denied our asylum in 2/2013,my lawyer appealed in BIA court and now it has been 2 years and we still waiting for the decision from BIA court,is there anybody experience the same situation? We are hoping they my approve our asylum according to bad situation in my country ,is there anybody have any idea of how long does it take to get the decision ,and is the long time means better or means nothing?

Please why nobody answered,nobody know anything about BIA court,no idea about why it took 2years and still no decision?...is that mean good or bad?

Iraqi cases have a very high approval percentage. Why was your case denied ? Find your Judge here: (I can't post links - but google trac syr edu immigration judges). Is his approval percentage under 20%, then maybe its the judge. Is it over 50%, then its you or your lawyer. Iraqi cases should not typically be denied. If your case is denied at the BIA, then you can try something called a Motion to Reconsider, arguing that the Judge's reasoning was bad. You can try a Motion to Reopen - one way of doing this is to show that country conditions have changed. You can appeal again - this time to the U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals for the Circuit where you case is located. If there are changes or updates, then you can try to incorporate these changes into your pending appeal by having your lawyer file a Motion to Remand in the alternative to the appeal. Your choice of attorney is exceptionally important. According to one statistic I saw - no attorney has a 6% chance of success; an attorney gives a 40% , a good attorney can easily have a greater than 90%.

(very experienced, anonymous, immigration lawyer)