1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

passport got ARC 407,can i go out

Discussion in 'Passports' started by DD2003, Apr 5, 2012.

  1. DD2003

    DD2003 Registered Users (C)

    hello everyone,
    let me 1st brief my case
    Because of my studies i need to move in and out of US,which I was doing legally, now I have completed my course in my home country and have come here for good, even giving exams for my further studies.
    But this time when i entered US last year immigration person stamped my passport with ARC which i dint see at that time, now when i came back this year, they stamped my passport with 407/rep adv ( advise to surrender green card),

    Now i am in the US for about 6months and need to go back to home country for some personal work,just for 15days, so wondering can I go? I am afraid that when I'll come back they might keep my Green Card.

    and my personal work is too very important.

    and if I am going to some other country will this 407 create any problem in my re-entry?

    please help

    thanks :)
  2. BigJoe5

    BigJoe5 Registered Users (C)

    REP = Reentry Permit

    You were advised to file an I-131 to get a REP which protects LPR status for up to 2 years at a time. IF you don't get one they will try to strip your card in the future for another long trip abroad.
  3. DD2003

    DD2003 Registered Users (C)

    Thanks for the reply
    sorry i forgot to mention that i previously took 2 REP for 2-2 yrs both. so now still can i file for another REP? and even for 15-20days should I file it?
  4. cafeconleche

    cafeconleche Registered Users (C)

    No, not for a short trip like that. If in future you plan to take long trips, you'd have to apply for one, but chances of getting one are lower now after your extended time abroad. Do you intend to stay mostly in the US until you apply for citizenship? Then you should be fine.

    ARC just means Alien Registration Card (GC), which they routinely stamp on LPR passports.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2012
  5. BigJoe5

    BigJoe5 Registered Users (C)

    One last item. 407 refers to form I-407 which is used in order to document relinquishment/abandonment of LPR status. The actual form appears to have lapsed as an official form but the State Department still has unofficial version on various websites.
  6. DD2003

    DD2003 Registered Users (C)

    yes i will be here for most of the time. and i need to go to home country but i am afraid that when ill come back they will keep my gc :( and wont let me enter again
  7. DD2003

    DD2003 Registered Users (C)

    so would it be a problem for me ? i mean cant i visit my home country untill unless i establish my self here?
  8. BigJoe5

    BigJoe5 Registered Users (C)

    Given your long absences, additional travel back to the home country even for brief visits in the short term is not a good idea. Specifically, any long trips anywhere will be very problematic until you firmly reestablish yourself in the U.S. That said, a weekend across the border or a short cruise would not be viewed the same way or be problematic.

Share This Page