• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Passport due to expire just over 6 months after interview - should I renew before or after interview

kiwiinla

Based on my number for DV-2017, I am likely to get an interview pretty late in the process - September 2017. My passport expires on 20 May 2018. That's still definitely more than 6 months after I would enter the US following receiving my diversity visa, assuming it all works out.

But I'm worried applying for a new passport while my case is being processed by the Kentucky Consular Center could make things more complicated.

Is it better to renew my passport now before the interview, or would it be fine to wait until after the interview and after I have entered the United States?

Seems like a "passport renewal" WILL result in a new number, so at the very least I WILL have to update KCC/the Consulate if I update my number. There's a stackexchange answer that indicates that on "Will my passport number change when I renew it?", which I can't link to due to anti-spamming limitations on this forum.