Part 10 "Good Moral Character" #16

luchylu

I am filing the N-400 application for my husband. He has never been arrested or in jail but he has been stopped by a police officer and has received tickets for minor violations (red light, speeding,window tint). These tickets have been less than $200. My question is do I put Yes on question #16 (Have you been arrested or cited, or detained by any law enforcement officer?) And at the bottom part do I explain each ticket?

Thank You for reading and answering my questions.

Any reason why he isn't filling out his own N-400?

Have him double-check it before sending it, and take a copy of the finished document right before sending it so it can be checked again while waiting for the interview, and corrected at the interview if necessary. It is very common for there to be mistakes when one spouse fills out the N-400 for the other.

Regarding those tickets, I say to list them, but there have been several threads debating it and a bunch of posters will soon chime in saying not to list them if they were under $500.

Oh, I am doing all the filing but we both are going over it, I ask him every question but he rather me fill it out since I'm doing it on the computer (typed).
We read through it often because we want to be very careful with this application.

About the tickets, I put Yes on that question and on the bottom part where it asks you about," why were you arrested, cited, detained, or charge? " I put down " see attachment please" and on a separet sheet of paper I wrote down this:

A-xxx-xxx-xxx
PART 10
D. GOOD MORAL CHARACTER #16

THE REASON I ANSWERED YES TO THIS QUESTION
IS BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN PULLED OVER BY A POLICE
OFFICER AND HAVE BEEN GIVEN TICKETS FOR MINOR
TRAFFIC VIOLATIONS. I HAVE NEVER BEEN IN JAIL OR
ARRESTED. THE ONLY PENALTY OF THESE TRAFFIC
TICKETS WAS FINES OF LESS THAN $200

Do you think this is a good idea?

lol luchy I understand! I think there is LESS likely to be mistakes when we help them ;) I am a *MUCH* more organized and detailed person than my husband is.

My husband also has a speeding ticket, tint ticket, and stop sign ticket.

I think that is pretty similar to what I am going to do. I am also going to have the receipts or dispositions just in case they ask for them.

Best of luck! :)

Just select "NO" to the question if the fines were less than 500 and/or points on the record. If you select "yes" then you will have to provide a bunch of useless court documentation proving why you selected yes to the question. Just explain the situation to the IO during the Interview and he will ask if the fines were more than 500 and/or points, then your husband or whoever can say the true answer and save yourself extra time from going to the court and collecting irrelevant information.

Select No. Putting yes, is just putting yourself through useless hassle for no reason. Worst case scenario, go to court and collect the relevant documents and take them with you to the interview. However, putting yes, will only put your husband through more scrutiny, as well as generate him a yellow letter. The law clearly states anything less than $500 doesnt matter, so always very confused when people insist on doing this. Nevertheless, I understand the desire to want to be as careful as possible with USCIS.

yellow letter is a yellow colored letter that you receive from USCIS. It asks you to bring specific documentation related to your own personal N-400. For ex. if an individual applies for naturalization under the 3 year rule, yellow letter mentions that you need to bring marriage certificate, tax return transcripts, etc. to the interview. If an individual applies under the 5 year term, then it usually asks for a state issued ID along w ur green card.

Yes me too. I am so nervous about this, I think more than my husband lol.

Thanks for the luck, and good luck with your case also :D

It is definitely a good and also the best idea.Its best to say 'Yes' on the application. For if the USCIS finds about the petty offenses without you mentioning it, then it may cause unwanted trouble.Listing them truthfully will act in your husband's favour and will in no way delay your naturalization process.

It is definitely a good and also the best idea.Its best to say 'Yes' on the application. For if the USCIS finds about the petty offenses without you mentioning it, then it may cause unwanted trouble.Listing them truthfully will act in your husband's favour and will in no way delay your naturalization process.

Wrong. USCIS made it very clear that minor traffic tickets that didn't result in an arrest do not need to be disclosed. Please see the top paragraph on page 60 of the document linked below.

http://www.uscis.gov/USCIS/About Us... Guide/Permanent_Residents_Naturalization.pdf