Overstay due to delay in petition reaching UCICS

Sathish Rao

My L1B VISA extension is in progress. My I94 is valid till Aug 1 2016. Is there any serious consequence if my VISA extension petition reaches UCICS a day or two after Aug 1 (due to some unforeseen delay) and I end up overstaying for a day or two ?

Unfortunately my take would be that you really need to get it in on time. Since I presume that you plan to continue to work while the extension is being processed, your authorization to work during that time period is based on having filed a timely extension. It is possible that they might forgive a delay of a day or two but the problem is that you will be working potentially illegally for months before you find out whether they grant the petition.

I think it needs to be in the USCIS' hands by Aug 1 (next Monday).

Unfortunately my take would be that you really need to get it in on time. Since I presume that you plan to continue to work while the extension is being processed, your authorization to work during that time period is based on having filed a timely extension. It is possible that they might forgive a delay of a day or two but the problem is that you will be working potentially illegally for months before you find out whether they grant the petition.

I think it needs to be in the USCIS' hands by Aug 1 (next Monday).

Thanks for the clarification !