• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Over worked before

Lupazzoli

I am a dv 2016 winner and worked before with j1 Visa in 2008. While filling my form, there was a question like this; have you ever violated a US VISA?
I noticed that with my j1, i could work till 01 oct, but i worked till 12 oct. Is that cause a problem if i write?

I am a dv 2016 winner and worked before with j1 Visa in 2008. While filling my form, there was a question like this; have you ever violated a US VISA?
I noticed that with my j1, i could work till 01 oct, but i worked till 12 oct. Is that cause a problem if i write?

I wouldn't volunteer this information to them.

I certainly do not consider telling the truth in this case 'volunteering information'. If you worked beyond the number of days authorized by your visa, I belief it's in your own best interest to own up to that fact. I believe there's a section on the form for providing more information or expanding on this, like explaining why or how you ended up working a couple more days than authorized.

Causes a bigger problem if you lie by omission and they find out.

I certainly do not consider telling the truth in this case 'volunteering information'. If you worked beyond the number of days authorized by your visa, I belief it's in your own best interest to own up to that fact. I believe there's a section on the form for providing more information or expanding on this, like explaining why or how you ended up working a couple more days than authorized.
What do you mean? Shouldn't i write down about this? Maybe i can tell them i didn't know about that rule which i wasn't.

I was thinking like that, but is it going to cause to lose the green card for me? What do you say?

I don't know all the rules but 10 days 7 years ago, I'd think probably not an issue.
Knowingly making a false statement on an immigration application on the other hand will get you denied and possibly even an entry ban if they find out.
Your call. My advice is always be honest.

I don't know all the rules but 10 days 7 years ago, I'd think probably not an issue.
Knowingly making a false statement on an immigration application on the other hand will get you denied and possibly even an entry ban if they find out.
Your call. My advice is always be honest.
"Have you ever been unlawfully present, overstayed the amount of time granted by an immigration official or otherwise violated the terms of a US visa?"
This is the all sentence, what do you think? Only for overstay and presenting? Or contain working?

What do you mean? Shouldn't i write down about this? Maybe i can tell them i didn't know about that rule which i wasn't.

My response was that you should mention the over stay. I was merely disagreeing with a previous post which indicated declaring the over stay is volunteering information.

"Have you ever been unlawfully present, overstayed the amount of time granted by an immigration official or otherwise violated the terms of a US visa?"
This is the all sentence, what do you think? Only for overstay and presenting? Or contain working?

I do think working beyond the terms allowed by your visa is a violation of the visa, an overstay on the other hand may or may not apply depending on the duration of stay allowed on your I-94.

So again, I believe you should say the truth, you'll have an opportunity to explain further.

I do think working beyond the terms allowed by your visa is a violation of the visa, an overstay on the other hand may or may not apply depending on the duration of stay allowed on your I-94.

So again, I believe you should say the truth, you'll have an opportunity to explain further.

I understand, since my visa was a j1 it wasn't overstaying exactly, because j1 holders can travel one month more inside US after final date. The problem is working till 12 Oct, which you say this is not a violation. What is it? Can it cause any severe trouble?

I understand, since my visa was a j1 it wasn't overstaying exactly, because j1 holders can travel one month more inside US after final date. The problem is working till 12 Oct, which you say this is not a violation. What is it? Can it cause any severe trouble?

I never said it wasn't a violation. Read my post again!

Regardless of whether it can cause a problem or not, you're required to always be truthful when dealing with immigration issues. Will you omit it if I respond by saying for sure it will be an issue?

Look, ultimately it is your decision, as you and you alone have to live with the consequences, one way or another. Anyone else can only tell you what they would do if they were in your shoes. If it were my call, I would consider for example, possible traceable evidence, i.e. any payroll after J-1 expiration, was social security deducted for the term etc. Simply put: no trace, no evidence, yet under no circumstance should you allow to be caught lying in the act. Just my two cents worth...

Look, ultimately it is your decision, as you and you alone have to live with the consequences, one way or another. Anyone else can only tell you what they would do if they were in your shoes. If it were my call, I would consider for example, possible traceable evidence, i.e. any payroll after J-1 expiration, was social security deducted for the term etc. Simply put: no trace, no evidence, yet under no circumstance should you allow to be caught lying in the act. Just my two cents worth...

I worked with my SSN. Probably they see. Weird thing is they gave me another visa one year later. I did not know that j1 had some tricks. Nobody warned me before. Anyway i sent an e-mail to the embassy this morning and asked briefly, if they want me to put, i will. Some says that is called Grace Period and it is ok to stay and about working "you may not be able to work"in this period. I am still waiting for the answer. I will let everybody know about the answer.

I worked with my SSN. Probably they see. Weird thing is they gave me another visa one year later. I did not know that j1 had some tricks. Nobody warned me before. Anyway i sent an e-mail to the embassy this morning and asked briefly, if they want me to put, i will. Some says that is called Grace Period and it is ok to stay and about working "you may not be able to work"in this period. I am still waiting for the answer. I will let everybody know about the answer.
Any news already on this? Will be interesting what, if any, advice IV folks at the consulate will have.

Any news already on this? Will be interesting what, if any, advice IV folks at the consulate will have.

Still waiting. It has been three days. That is the only information i need. Some tells me to say NO, some says YES. I do not want to ask on the phone, mailing is the best solution, i'll write when i get the mail.

From my experience, the consulates don't give advice on what should be put in DS260s. We asked them a question about my husband's education and what would constitute proof that he finished high school (he did his schooling in the UK and we weren't sure what the expectations of Sydney consulate were given they wouldn't often see A and O levels), and Sydney referred us to London who referred us to the formal instructions.

One of my friends had a question and they replied last week. They say embassy is giving answers in 5 workdays, so i'll wait till Tuesday. Maybe i call them. Still not sure how to answer. I took another j1 in 2009 without a problem. Maybe the question is not about the thing i think.

One of my friends had a question and they replied last week. They say embassy is giving answers in 5 workdays, so i'll wait till Tuesday. Maybe i call them. Still not sure how to answer. I took another j1 in 2009 without a problem. Maybe the question is not about the thing i think.
Every day you don't submit your DS-260 is lowering your chances of making it in time.