Out of Status for a while, can I file I-140/I-485 after graduating a US RN program?

ansandiego

Registered Users (C)
I would like to find out the following:

If a person has been out of Status in the US for a while, can he or she file I-140/I-485 after graduating a US RN program?

Thanks

it depends

i've read from sites that you can file as long as you do not exceed 180days out of status.

try to clarify this issue with an immigration lawyer.

ansandiego said:

If a person has been out of Status in the US for a while, can he or she file I-140/I-485 after graduating a US RN program?

Thanks

You can file I-485 after out of status within 180 days

USCIS issued a "180 day rule" to allow people to file I-485 within 180 days out of status or illegal employment on Feb 22, 2005. I think you should be OK only if the time of your out of status is less than 180 days. This rule is called 245K. Here is the detailed informations. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!

Feb. 20, 2005 245(k) "180 Day Rule" Allowing Adjustment Applications
Unlawful presence in the United States can affect an applicant in many different ways.* The Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996 (IIRAIRA) created the "3/10- year inadmissibility" bars for individuals who are unlawfully present in the United States.* The overall consequence of being "unlawfully present" are:

1.* If in the U.S., and applying for a nonimmigrant visa, prohibit an applicant from changing and/or extending status in the United States.
2.* If outside the U.S., prohibit an applicant from obtaining a visa (nonimmigrant OR immigrant) at the U.S. Consulate/Embassy.
3.* If in the U.S., and applying for an immigrant visa "green card," prohibit an applicant from adjusting status (I-485) in the United States ("bar to adjustment").

Certain individuals in the U.S., although unlawfully present, can still file an I-485 adjustment of status application, in the United States, by using 245(k) (these individuals are technically considered to be "lawfully present" in the United States for the purposes of filing an I-485 adjustment of status application.* 245(k) states that a foreign national can file an I-485 adjustment of status application IF:

(1) the foreign national, on the date of filing an application for adjustment is present in the United States pursuant to a lawful admission;
(2) the foreign national, subsequent to such lawful admission has not, for an aggregate period exceeding "180 days" --

(A) failed to maintain, continuously, a lawful status;
(B) engaged in unauthorized employment; or
(C) otherwise violated the terms and conditions of the alien's admission.”

This "180 day" rule does not include any violations or unauthorized employment accrued after the filing of the adjustment application (meaning, if any violations after 180 days, it is not counted).* Violations of unauthorized employment can occur sometimes because of the lengthy processing time by the US CIS in issuing EAD/work authorization documents.* However, in October of 2004, an unofficial statement by the US CIS indicates that any violations, including unauthorized employment, after the submission of the adjustment of application within 180 days, can be counted -- and thereby result in the denial of the adjustment application:* US CIS advises that its interpretation is that the 180 day count as to unlawful presence is stopped by the filing of an adjustment of status application, but periods of unauthorized employment post filing (such as a gap in EAD/workauthorization) also would count toward the 180 days.* Therefore, if 180 days of violation is accrued (in the aggregate, before and after filing the adjustment application), it is possible for the foreign national to be denied approval of the adjustment application based on the 3/10-year bar.
i8Details: Entry/Admission & Inadmissibility Penalties
i8Details: U.S. Entry Violations & Unlawful Presence (Inadmissibility Section)
i8Details: Considered to be Lawfully Present/Not Subject to Bar (Inadmissibility Section)
------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think you need to go out and comeback with valid I-94( if out of status <180) . Then you can apply for I-485. you need to have a legal status between last entry and I-485 applying time.

According to 245(K), Certain individuals in the U.S., although unlawfully present, can still file an I-485 adjustment of status application, in the United States, by using 245(k). Therefore I do not think you need go out of USA to obtain legal status, then to file I-485. If you you go out, you have the risk of not being able to come back! I had consulate 245(K) with a very good lawyer and she said OK to file I-485 after out of status within 180 days!

Thanks for your advice

Thank you everyone for your advice. Unfortunately, it has been more ...........than 180 days.....

ansandiego said:

Thanks

What is your current immigration status (B1/B2, F-1, J-1, or something else)?

what > 180? Do you meen finished school, OPT and overstayed for >180 days?

Then it can be problematic to do AOS.

attoneys don't do miracles, especially in immigration cases. They just make more trouble and charge you for that.

There are no miracles, especially in the immigration process. There is a set of laws, rules, regulations, and formal process that you have to go through. Those procedures are well written out. And you can find all the information you need on the Internet.

A good attorney will not cause more trouble, but will give you the best advice and do everything possible to get you out of the mess.

There is no need to talk nonsense, if you have no clue what you're talking about.

Most of them will do whatever possible to get more out of your pocket. If there is no trouble, they will make it.

AnnaRN, forum is a place to share experience, not to insult other people.

I worked without renewing student hardship work authorization for 160 days in 2005 May. currnetly I am in H1B and just filed 485 for AOS and I140 allready got approved. My question is will 180 days rule protect me as I worked without work authorization less than 180 days. I was full time studnet and other than this I was never been in out of status and I got economy hardship work permit every year for 4 times. Please help.

My wife is on H4 visa and she has done a B.A.M.S degree in India. Can she attend a RN program here? Will she be eligible for GC once she completes the program? Any experieces from other peoples?